$50 tank on Craiglist. Is this a good deal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
$50 tank on Craiglist. Is this a good deal?

I was thinking about purchasing this find.

I wanted to double check with you all beforehand though.

Is this a good deal?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/for/2966251262.html

I emailed him a couple questions and this was his response.

Quote:
I don't have any more information on the filter model. I can tell you that it has a "wheel" filter that spins and also a flat charcoal filter. Both can be replaced easily at the pet store. The wheel hardly ever has to be replaced (and should last a couple more years), and the flat filter can be cleaned and used for about 10 more months, but I also have a brand new replacement for it, too. The light is a standard short florescent tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Imo I think you could find better. Especially depending on how big of a tank you are looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Id say its a bit overpriced for what it is. My advice would be to go for a 10 or 15 gallon full setup for around that price or cheaper. Or keep scouring craigslist for other deals. Heres a few i found at quick glance.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/2976780910.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/2976115732.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/hsh/2975724628.html
I realize some of these arent a complete setup but i think you would be happier with something a little more versatile.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Granted it doesn't seem like a horrible deal per say. Though I would think you could just as easily get a similar all in one kit from PetSmart/PetCo/Insert big name chain store here, and have something of a safety net should something be a lemon. Reading through the ad though, if they truly were 'animal lovers', it seems like the responder should have done his/her due diligence to be as precise and specific about what they were getting before originally buying said tank.

But as with anything on Craigslist, buyer beware. Good luck!

P.S.
These two look like better deals.

Quote:
“How is it that nature does this so effortlessly, while our tanks constantly teeter on the brink of eutrophic pollution (like EI) or apocalyptic famine (like PPS/Sears & Conlin)?”
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
$50 buys you a brand new aqueon 10g kit with all the needed items minus decor and fish

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Planted Member

Wait for the dollar days sale and buy your self a tank and filter sale. Piece together something you like not a hand me down like that.

All gave some, Some gave all
Active tanks

/

Retired Tanks

/
/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What's the minimum sized tank you can buy at the dollar sale?

The reason I was interested in this tank is because I'm looking for a desktop tank rather than a larger 10+ gallon one.
Sorry, I should have made that clear in my original post.

I'll look into this tank (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/hsh/2975724628.html), it's a little bit further from where I live though.

If I was to purchase the original tank though what would be a fair price?

I'm looking to make a planted RCS desktop tank.

I appreciate all the responses!
Thanks for helping me to not make a dumb purchase.

Edit:
After looking up where http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/hsh/2975724628.html was located I realized it was unfortunately way too far for me to travel.

I'm in college and without a car.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
A 2.5g makes a good RCS desktop tank. They are about $8 and you could get everything else for under $50. Here is a link to what was my 2.5g rcs tank. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...s-my-2-5g.html

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

$8??

Everywhere I've looked they've been way more than that.

Where can I get one for $8?

Edit: here's a used 2.5 gal for $25 on craigslist http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/2951539055.html

Where should I be looking?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
You will be much happier making your own "kit", even if you spend a little more money on it. I bought a kit from Petsmart, and 1 year later I have replaced everything that came with it except the tank itself.

I moss be in love

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I'm pretty sure they are $10 at petsmart or less. Just looked at the website and it say$14 dollars but I have seen it for less in store.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Planted Member

My addiction started with a 2.5 gallon tank from Petco I bought for 19.99, then moved to a 10 kit 50 dollars, then returned that for a 29 gallon during dollar days and an external aquatop. So yeah buying something I pieced myself I kept the longest because I picked the parts I guess...

All gave some, Some gave all
Active tanks

/

Retired Tanks

/
/
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
CL is a ripoff compared to the dollar/gallon sales, hold off

current:

| retired:

|
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aben314 View Post
$8??

Everywhere I've looked they've been way more than that.

Where can I get one for $8?

Edit: here's a used 2.5 gal for $25 on craigslist http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/for/2951539055.html

Where should I be looking?
Yeh, 2.5 gallon tanks are actually not cheap at all. You'd think they cost less, but around here, you can find 5 gallons for less believe it or not. A 2.5 gallon runs about $12 here.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Negotiate with them if you want THIS ONE. But u can get bigger, nicer, with stand for 50$

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode