Very simple quarantine tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Very simple quarantine tank?

I just set up a 90 gallon community tank that is now ready for the fish. I only have 1 other tank which is a 10 gallon that will soon become a shrimp tank. I don't want to have to scrap the 10 gallon if I buy a sick fish and put it in there so I would rather set up a super cheap and easy hospital tank.

Could I keep cherry barbs in a plastic bucket with a sponge filter, a small power filter, and some decor? I already have the sponge filter in my 10 gallon and a used power filter. I am planning to keep the cherry barbs in QT for 2 weeks then add them into the 90.

for an 8G bucket would 10 cherry barbs be OK if I changed the water twice a week for 2 weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantDwarfShrimp View Post
I just set up a 90 gallon community tank that is now ready for the fish. I only have 1 other tank which is a 10 gallon that will soon become a shrimp tank. I don't want to have to scrap the 10 gallon if I buy a sick fish and put it in there so I would rather set up a super cheap and easy hospital tank.

Could I keep cherry barbs in a plastic bucket with a sponge filter, a small power filter, and some decor? I already have the sponge filter in my 10 gallon and a used power filter. I am planning to keep the cherry barbs in QT for 2 weeks then add them into the 90.

for an 8G bucket would 10 cherry barbs be OK if I changed the water twice a week for 2 weeks?
how big are they?
if the sponge filter is already cycled and they're not full grown, i'd say go for it. i've heard of people doing similar things when they switch tanks, or in emergencies like when a seam on a tank busts.

EDIT: OOPS. you said CHERRY barbs, i read ROSELINE barbs. that should be really fine. even without the power filter. i was thinking you meant a bunch of six inch fish in an eight gallon bucket...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
EDIT: OOPS. you said CHERRY barbs, i read ROSELINE barbs. that should be really fine. even without the power filter. i was thinking you meant a bunch of six inch fish in an eight gallon bucket...
haha yeah hopefully they won't get that big.

Also what symptoms should I be looking for? just anything swollen or growing on them or do I need to pay close attention their behavior?

Thanks

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantDwarfShrimp View Post
haha yeah hopefully they won't get that big.

Also what symptoms should I be looking for? just anything swollen or growing on them or do I need to pay close attention their behavior?

Thanks
just if they're sick in general?
yeah, anything swollen, growing on them... if they're puffy and floating (swim bladder issues)... ich (little white specks), velvet (tinier white specks- look closely), torn fins, rotting fins, if they look really thin then they might have worms...i'd get some general fish meds that will treat most anything, just in case.
if you're looking for the quarantine being too crowded (it shouldn't be really), watch for gasping at the surface, erratic swimming, bleeding gills from ammonia poisoning. fin rot can also occur when there's too much ammonia
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
The 5gl bucket will be fine with heat & filter. I'd dump a huge pile of Hornwort in there. It will keep them calm, reduce suicide attempts and suck up nitrates.

Only down side it's had to check them. When I've used buckets, I use a small Betta bowl to dip out fish & examine them for Ick or other problems. The less you use a net the better.

I watch a video about Betta breeders in Thailand they use their cupped hands flu of water to move fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode