Velcro in the tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question Velcro in the tank?

Hey there ~
I often see people writing that they use zip ties, mono filament, etc in their tanks to tie down equipment or plants and such. Is there any reason I shouldn't use velcro? I ask because I am starting to flood a 125g tank, and I have two large (24"+) pieces of driftwood in it. I always use super glue to attach dw to heavy rocks, but one of these pieces was just too buoyant and my glue bond was iffy at best. Got the tank 1/2 flooded and it popped loose. The wood floated so that it was 1/2 submerged, but I've had wood before that didn't stay submerged on it's own even after a year. Not wanting to weigh it down with a rock while it soaks, and not wanting to take it out, dry it, and re-glue it (because I'd have to glue it to two rocks, one front and one back, while OUTside the tank, then try to gingerly place it back in without doing damage to the tank) I decided to use some indoor/outdoor ultra thin velcro I had on hand. It's the kind that's one single thin strip and it sticks to itself. It's working really well - and since so many aquarium parts - filters, fake plants, etc - are plastic I don't see how the velcro is different than say, a zip tie.
How about it, what do you think?

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Maybe I missed it but how did you attach the velcro? My concern would be the durability and chemical make up of the "tape" side of the velcro. If it didn't have the sticky tape and you super glued each part of the velcro to each surface I think that would work fine.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
Maybe I missed it but how do you plan to attach the velcro?
Ya.. most of the velcros have glues on the backs of them.... cant imagine they would be fish friendly....

msawdey
-Just another day in paradise-

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, I wasn't clear - this type of velcro doesn't have any glue - it's not adhesive. It's an ultra thin strip, and one side of the strip is the "loop" and the other is the "tooth", but in miniature form (that's why it's ultra thin). So when you make a circle or loop with it, it sticks to itself. The way I used it was to tie the dw to a rock, and the rock weighs it down. No glue, it works like a zip tie would.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear - this type of velcro doesn't have any glue - it's not adhesive. It's an ultra thin strip, and one side of the strip is the "loop" and the other is the "tooth", but in miniature form (that's why it's ultra thin). So when you make a circle or loop with it, it sticks to itself. The way I used it was to tie the dw to a rock, and the rock weighs it down. No glue, it works like a zip tie would.
i don't see a problem with it... i don't think the velcro itself is usually treated with anything prone to leeching in water, maybe i'm wrong.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks - I didn't think so either...it's working really well, I may use it more often!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
yeh I see no issues then.

where'd you get the stuff so others might be able to find it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode