How do I do it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I do it?

I have a 125 gallon standard 6' long tank that has older T8 vho lighting in the 6500 range that amounts to about 1.5 to 2 wpg (the bulbs get changed but the lighting is built in so it will remain). It has a combination of gravel and eco complete red as substrate about 2 1/2 inches deep. I have a starter package of assorted low light plants coming including vals, crypts, moss, rotala, etc. I am willing to add to it. I also have 10 pieces of small to medium driftwood to put in. Sounds simple right? Tall plants in the back gradually working forward, open swimming spaces wood tucked here and there. Here is the problem.

This tank has no back. It has 2 fronts. It is a look through tank with walls built around it. The one front is the first thing you see when you enter my house, the other front you see while sitting in my living room. So both sides have to look good. The filter intake and output are on an end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Put the driftwood and and tall plants in the middle of the tank and make it like and island. Have the taller plants in the middle and the shorter plants spreading from the middle to the front/back. Easy peezy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's called a peninsula tank. I have a 180G in the family room set up much the same way that I haven't aquascaped yet. But I think I made it easy for myself in that the only fish going in there are angelfish. So my plan was to simply put a couple of pieces of driftwood in a "median strip" along with taller amazons. Basically a meandering stripe through the middle of the tank. The balance would be a carpet that I haven't decided on yet. A 125G is only 6 inches narrower, but you should be able to achieve something similar. In other words you have to think in terms of a 270 degree view. The traditional slope/transition in height from front to back doesn't work here. Hope that helps.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Grass plains layouts work well for this kind of tank and you can see clear through them. The very thin width will make it hard to make both sides look good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wow, I just had to check. If you drew a straight line corner to corner across Pa, you'd connect your town with mine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks to both of you, yes it helps

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode