Keeping water cool - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
Keeping water cool

How some of you guy that live in hot climates keep you water cool. I'm staying in a dorm where I can't control the temperature at all. I'm in Korea where is get very hot and humid and the only way to keep cool is to open the window. Are there cheap water chillers for a 15 gallon out there or something? I don't want to go through the time a effort of setting a tank if everything will be killed by the high temp.

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Dude same question... My tanks were hitting 88F the past two days and they're in the 78-80F now, with heaters off:/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ice cubes made with water treated with declor. For a small tank 1- 2 cubes at a time floated in the tank. For large tanks, larger cubes or homemade ice "bergs"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Instead of ice cubes, you could freeze water in water bottles or fish bags, float them in the tank to cool it off, that way the water doesn't mix with tank water.

I keep about 10 bottles in the freezer during winter and rotate through them, 2-3 at a time for my bigger tanks.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Instead of ice cubes, you could freeze water in water bottles or fish bags, float them in the tank to cool it off, that way the water doesn't mix with tank water.

I keep about 10 bottles in the freezer during winter and rotate through them, 2-3 at a time for my bigger tanks.
+1

thats a great idea! I wish i had a bigger freezer. my tanks are running between 77 and 80. its only april we haven't even started to hit the mid 90's or the 100's yet.....summer will be a challenge, all of my tanks are against extrior walls...yay!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
A fan blowing over the water surface will keep the temperatures down (and increase evaporation - this is how this works).

Obviously try to minimize adding heat from equipment, mainly lights. Lift up the canopy to allow air exchange.

Ice cubes work well for temporary heat spikes. But if you have to keep the tank below ambient temperatures for a couple of months there will be issues.

Water changes with ice-cold water can help. Obviously very slowly so the incoming water mixes well with the tank water without forming cold areas. This is how I keep the temp down in my 250gal tank - the water change water goes through a chest freezer, sits there in a 5gal container and is cooled to ~40F via timer or temp controller. Brings down the tank temp about 1 degree (~2% daily w/c). Will perhaps not work as well in a tank that's 25x smaller...

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post

This is what I do for a day or two of 95 deg. plus weather. In my 40 gallon tank, one frozen 16 oz water bottle drops the temperature by about half of a degree, as I recall. I have eight ready to go in the freezer.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Spend the $5. Buy a clip-on fan for smaller tanks (or a computer cooling fan). Or $10 for a big fan for larger tanks. It's worth it.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

1) Remove excess decor (heater, plants) in tank to reduce heat capacity of tank, making it easier to cool, more stuff = more heat to hold.

2) I''ve been thinking of having water from HOB flow along a metal channel/canal (aluminum?) with a small fan blowing across it, possibly with riparium plants in channel

3) A powerhead with emersed spraybar with fan blowing across.

4) Small portable room air conditioner, put tank on wheeled stand and refrigerate it in small room to conserve energy vs using a large room.

The only problem would be minimizing evaporation, and resulting hardening of water.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
no matter what method you choose.......things are pretty tense over there, be safe.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
I'll give the fan ideal a dhot it seems simple enough. where can I get a decent one from?

Yes it is getting tense over here with that rocket stunt last week

Sent from my Galaxy Note using Tapatalk

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
You should be able to pick up a PC fan and power adapter to run it at any electronics market like Yongsan/whatever the equivalent is in Gunsan or near the air base.

My relatives tell me you can find clip-on fans at E-Mart and sometimes Lotte, if you have any of those near you.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
DIY Dorm freezer chiller..and cool a 6 pack.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode