Time to get more plants! (which ones)? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I just added the flourite to my 55 gallon tank, about 2.5 bags of it. This weekend (MEA yeah!! no school for me for 4 days, long weekend !!!) I am going to remove the lip of my power filter and put some plexi glass on it so there isn't any surface agitation. Also, I am going to get some Jobes Fertalizer spikes because after I took my sword out of the pot (with laterite) and ito the flourite, it has begun to die!! I already set up my reactor (see Planted Tank CO2 reactor!) and is seems to be working fine. So, after I removed the pots, I realized how much space they took up, and how few plants my "planted' tank actually had.

Any suggestions for plants people have had good experience with...? I know I want to get some dwarf hygrophila and pygmy chain sword, and some red ludwiga, but need some other suggestions!! Thanks in advance!

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your plant choices so far sound excellent. I'd recommend some Rotala Indica. I've had more success with this plant than any before. Also, some steadfast Anubias for the foreground. My favorite is A. Coffeefolia

Some Bacopa would do well as a background/midground plant as well in your conditions.

When you add those Jobe's sticks, be sure not to stir up the gravel where you plant them. They will fill your water column with nutrients faster than you can say hair algae.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the reply...I am actually going to get the plexi-glass tonight at the hardware store and fix up my filter...! Time to finally see some pH adjustments from adding CO2 (I have never seen my pH go up or down when CO2 has been added, which mean the filter is dissipating it all). I'll check if they have the Jobe's sticks at the hardware store, otherwise I'll go somewhere else.

About the gravel, I used to vacuum my gravel (mostly because of the pleco waste) but found out most of it gets picked up if I get within 1 mm of it and don't touch the gravel. It creates a sort of vacuum and all the waste within a foot's radium is also sucked up, works great...

If the plants were human, and they knew what was coming, they wouldn't be able to sleep!

-Tim

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
It's exciting to finally get things together, isn't it? You'll love the plant growth you'll see once everything comes together.

I do the same thing when vacuuming my gravel. I don't allow it to actually pick up much gravel. Just a few grains might rise and fall, but most of the mulm is picked up in the suction. I actually haven't had to vacuum in several months, though. The substrate has remained relatively uncluttured.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode