another "your next set up" thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
another "your next set up" thread

I find my understanding is continuously evolving as I run tanks, so I am formulating a mental picture of what my next tank will look like so I can start writing a budget and timeline...it's always helpful to get other hobbiest's insight, not to mention fun, since they may have faced situations or come on things you haven't.

So anyways, what does your next set-up look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
If I had time for another tank, I think I'd overhaul my old bio teacher's 40B. His oscar just died and asked me if I had any suggestions... little did he know, he'd be getting an earful...

I'd go with a nice white plain of PFS, keep it simple and clean, have a few planted islands of akadama or similar, each would have a bit of seiryu in the center. As for flora, probably I'd go with something simple and easy to maintain, something I could pull from my own tanks. xmas moss, blyxa, maybe some daintier rotalas or ludwigia hybrid red, some simple crypts, giant hairgrass if I can find any. I'd try to keep it as low tech as possible. So pendant brooder lamps would light this thing, co2 would be diy pb or minimal (but that really depends on how much money the science department would give me for this, lol) They have some magnum HOT filters that I'd probably use, and plenty of old powerheads to play around with...

or I could set up a wabikusa type tank... or do an emersed farm... or a shrimp tank... or... agh! so many things I want to do!

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Algae Grower

I know what I want, right now I have a 40 breeder sitting empty and a 20 long planted that sits next to my desk. Next summer my girlfriend and I will be selling our house and buying something larger with a finished basement for a TV/entertaining area. I am planing a 120 or 180 planted Discus tank with a school of about 30 cardinals 15-20 Rummynose some smaller growing plecos and 6-8 tank raised, not wild Discus. I have the dream in my head of my scape with a large driftwood and smooth round rocks of different sizes throughout the tank. The driftwood will have lots of narrow leaf java ferns and anubis attached in one back corner of the tank with stem plants along the back covering the rest and hiding any of my eqipment in the tank. I would run a fluval FX5 with an inline heater plus a second heater in the tank itself to keep the temp in the 80's. As for lighting, a suspended light with 4 T5HO's and a MH for a noon burst. Pressurized C02 with a PH controller. For the substrate it would be flourite black sand. I have it in my 20 long and had it in my 40 breeder and love the stuff. Tho, I have thought about a dirt tank capped with a lighter sand. I'm only guessing at this right now but, My cost would probably be 3-5 thousand for everything. We both have good jobs so thats not an issue and her hobby is her new jeep 22 grand, so mine is easy to get her to agree to...lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
for my sized house. i've already planned a 75 gallon setup/ hanging light fixture. wet dry sump
and ima build an "underground" cave system in the left corner of the tank. have a cave covered with a grassy substance or moss, maybe some crypts, and then cut a piece of 2 inch pvc in half and run an undergravel tunnel off of the cave the has a second opening.

c02 is simple for me. timer and inline reactor

however ima have outlet boxes under the stand with on of switches for everyhing. i have having to unplug things to do maintenance

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is the cave for? Hobbit fish?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

plecos. zebra loaches

shrimp if they survive the latter.. MUWAHAHAHA

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am debating my next move. At minimum I want a tank capable of supporting some angels and rams. The idea of my ideal keeps changing but here is the current fantasy:

I also want a 75 with a sump for discus, but am hesitant to take the plunge as a renter, and the money to get what I want is a bit of a hurdle as well.

The way I would set it up has changed a few times. I wanted to get a 75 that was too wide, then use a piece of frosted glass along the whole length of the back to act as a calflo overflow. In another post it was brought up that the frosted glass would provide a textured surface for algae to cling to so this may be out. The plumbing would come up through the bottom of the tank, behind the frosted glass, with 3 drains and 3 returns. One return on one side, and two on the other. I would use Lilly pipes, or possibly one Lilly pipe and one transparent spray bar on the corner returns and plumb them over the top of the frosted glass overflow. One return would have Inline co2, the other, an Inline heater. The third return line would be plumbed to a set of drip emmiters piped upward to fall in line with the light fixture. The led fixture would have true sunrise and sunset with a mix of magenta, blue, and white emmiters to allow color progression and moonlight, with a controller capable of simulating lightning storms and activating a solenoid to initiate the rain.

The sump would be completely filled with mechanical, chemical and biological filtration. It would have a drain hole allowing particulates to be swept into and drained off. The pump would be Inline drilled into the bottom of the sump for maximum volume on a given tank. There would be an auto dosing set up. The tank would be on a constant water change system where an Ro filter would constantly be feeding into the sump, and the overflow would siphon off into a catch tank for the garden. All data would be sent to a computer.

The fantasy keeps going, but I think you get the point.

I could probably buy the tank, plumbed, with stand and sump and keep it simple and bare while I grow out some discus, then slowly add the other features as $s allow, but Im not sure I trust myself to be patient and I don't want to make a habit of tapping into house savings for fish tank money!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ive thought about all that stuff.. out of the fancy things. I only want automated water changes controlled with valves. I dont want a completely automated system. I like sunrise sunset therefor i will buy an ati fixture with my next setup. Should only add an extra 300 bux because the tek fixture is already like 470 for a 4 foot

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I want a large tank with many pairs and harems of apistogrammas. Borellii, cacatuoides, blue rams, and maybe some others that I discover that I take a liking to. Heavily planted with natural driftwood caves for the eggs to be layed and raised in. Hopefully 75 gallons or more! I would also like to add a breeding pair of blue angelfish.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode