Frustrated....just frustrated - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Frustrated....just frustrated

That one word decribes how I feel right now, sitting at work. I got my plants in last night and started working on my tank at 6:30pm. I was supposed to give my 3 year old a bath at 8pm.....At 10pm I got in an argument with my wife about the time I was spending on my tank, instead of giving my daughter a bath :/ (yes she was still awake because I was trying to get my dadgumit bubble counter to fill with water). I was so frustrated last night, it carried into today. My question is this: I have my co2 line running into my one way valve, then my bubble counter, then from there into an inline co2 diffuser, then into my tank. The problem is, my bubble counter is only about an inch full and I have had my tank running all night. I tried to use a pipette and it did not work, the co2 tubing is too small and the water isn't going down it with the little pressure from the pipette....then I tried unhooking the one way valve and seeing if gravity would feed it if it weren't air tight. Water did run down, but as soon as I plugged the co2 tubing, the water stopped running and the bubble counter would not fill up. The best I have done is leak water all over the carpet. Now I have all this Glosso, the lights are on, the ferts are in, and no co2 working. I am flipping out here. What can I do? I have had a suggestion from a friend to take one of his diabetic syringes and squirt it in, but is it supposed to be that hard, how does everyone else with a Green leaf aquatics bubble counter get theirs filled with water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I used a syringe

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really? It takes a needle to fill the bubble counter lol. It never occured to me I was going to have to use a syringe to fill this thing. Should they make something that doesn't quite need something so potentially dangerous to fill a bubble counter? lol. Thank you for your speedy response by the way!

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradleoffilthfan View Post
Really? It takes a needle to fill the bubble counter lol. It never occured to me I was going to have to use a syringe to fill this thing. Should they make something that doesn't quite need something so potentially dangerous to fill a bubble counter? lol. Thank you for your speedy response by the way!
I don't own one of these BC's - but still I am pretty sure he means the syringe without the needle! Like what the pharmacy gives you when you have to give liquid meds to young children..
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
^ That's what I'm thinking too

This can be found at walmart for less than $2 for an infant medicine dropper (syringe that draws up to 10ml or so)

I use one of these when testing water, much easier than sticking the test tube in the water lol

-Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would have thought so too Krazy, but looking at the hole in the top of the bubble counter.....I would have to guess only a needle could possibly fit in it. It is so small water gets to the hole and stops because the water molecules are too big(well actually it's probably due to the ability for water molecules to bend and hold on to each other) to go through it. I think it just might take a needle to fill it.....If a pipette is too big to fill it, then how would a child's medicine syringe do it, the whole out of them is pretty large.....
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just e mailed Greenleafaquariums.com to see what they suggest doing.....I tried a pipette with a really small opening (meatus) but it was too big. I figured if I squirted water into the co2 tube above it, it might run down into the BC, but nope. It just sits in the tube. I even tried putting water into the tube and then blowing the water down, but that did not work either......
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, so they asked me if I had a one way valve under the BC....I said yes.....they said I must have been trying to push water down from above the BC, I said yes....They said the one way valve keeps you from being able to push water down because it's only allowing pressure to flow one way.....I have to disconnect the one way valve, fill the BC from the other end, then connect the one way valve again.....I will try this when I get home tonight and report back.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Planted Member

Is it the glass bubble counter, or the atomic bubble counter? If glass, you need a syringe with a needlepoint.

EDIT: I just saw your post above. For the record, I have 2 check valves before my BC and one after. No issues disconnecting and filling from above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cradleoffilthfan View Post
That one word decribes how I feel right now, sitting at work. I got my plants in last night and started working on my tank at 6:30pm. I was supposed to give my 3 year old a bath at 8pm.....At 10pm I got in an argument with my wife about the time I was spending on my tank, instead of giving my daughter a bath :/ (yes she was still awake because I was trying to get my dadgumit bubble counter to fill with water). I was so frustrated last night, it carried into today. My question is this: I have my co2 line running into my one way valve, then my bubble counter, then from there into an inline co2 diffuser, then into my tank. The problem is, my bubble counter is only about an inch full and I have had my tank running all night. I tried to use a pipette and it did not work, the co2 tubing is too small and the water isn't going down it with the little pressure from the pipette....then I tried unhooking the one way valve and seeing if gravity would feed it if it weren't air tight. Water did run down, but as soon as I plugged the co2 tubing, the water stopped running and the bubble counter would not fill up. The best I have done is leak water all over the carpet. Now I have all this Glosso, the lights are on, the ferts are in, and no co2 working. I am flipping out here. What can I do? I have had a suggestion from a friend to take one of his diabetic syringes and squirt it in, but is it supposed to be that hard, how does everyone else with a Green leaf aquatics bubble counter get theirs filled with water?

If we did not live on opposite of the country I would think you might be married to my wife. I feel your pain, my tank has been giving me nothing, but problems, wife mad as I have been working on it to much. About ready to throw the towel in soon.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Yea sorry lol, without the needle. though a needle would help lol. to be honest, I am going to probably scrap my little glass counter and either make my own or order a different style

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
If we did not live on opposite of the country I would think you might be married to my wife. I feel your pain, my tank has been giving me nothing, but problems, wife mad as I have been working on it to much. About ready to throw the towel in soon.
I would say lol, but it's no laughing matter is it.....Hope it turns out ok, for the both of us!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok mahko......I was hoping I wouldn't need to go through that much trouble to fill it up, but if that's what I have to do.....Thanks for the input.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Humility. The key to successful marriage. The wife is more important than the hobby (well... there are those moments......). When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

For the CO2 issue, I'd just scrap the counter and put the tubbing on a small powerhead. They make really little ones that don't create too much currant, but it depends on the tank size. That just proves how little I know about CO2... I'm a sort of jack-of-all-trades, makeshift, work-with-what-you-have type.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

LB79....I hear you, and she aint happy for sure. Won't take my calls today in fact.....we'll see where that goes I guess :/ Anyway, I have a good diffuser, I am just afraid if I don't use a counter, I won't know how much I am putting in.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode