General question on fish TB or old age... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question General question on fish TB or old age...

I have a quandary. I am breaking down a 40b that may or may not have had TB in it. I hate to toss the plants, because I used it as a holding tank for plants destined for my new tank. They are mostly small, and I can toss them, but it will take me a while to save the $$ to replace them (mostly crypts and crinium).
So here's what happened - and I don't know if I had fish TB or an old fish that died naturally.
This is how the 40 was stocked; 4 tiger barbs, 3 rosy barbs, 15+ neons, 3 male guppies, 4 harlequins and 4 black neons. The tank was set up about two years with these fish in it for all two years.
One day about 4 - 5 months ago I noticed a guppy was missing - I never found it. Since then two neons have died, but they looked normal - no deformities. I should add the 3 guppies constantly harassed each other - I'm surprised they didn't die of exhaustion sooner rather than later. About three months ago, one of the two remaining guppies developed a bent back, and fairly quickly, too. Within two weeks. Not an "s" curve, but a boomerang shape, tail low. His fins were getting ratty and it was obvious he wasn't top dog. My fancy guppies were bought full grown, and had a tiny, very slight boomerang bend anyhow - I see it in most guppies, so I think it's a natural shape. What I mean is that their backs aren't perfectly level. So anyhow, the bent guppy died within days. I've watched & watched the other fish to see TB signs, but I'm not seeing any. btw, the last guppy looks fine, but he's still in the 40b by himself now.
Because I was in a rush to break down the 40b to accommodate the new tank (no other place to put it) I took a calculated risk and transferred the rest of the 40b fish to my other tanks.
Now, I've read as much on fish TB as I can find here, and it seems that it is present in most tanks, and weak fish can succumb to it while healthier fish show no signs. So I may or may not have "polluted" my other tanks - but those fish are not going in the new tank. What I want to know is are the plants usable? Could it be possible my bent guppy was old? I've read where old fish can develop bent spines too. I'm not talking bent in half, but certainly not a normal posture.
What do you think? I hate to toss the plants - I'm also floating bunches for the new tank in the other tanks the 40b fish were moved to. (hope that last part makes sense - lol)
If I've only seen one bent back in 5 months, doesn't seem possible it isn't TB? I tend to get panicky about things I don't understand, and assume the worst...

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think you were just seeing signs of old age in your guppies. They are not long lived fish. I wouldn't panic and think the worst.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks - this is what I hope to hear. There are many TB topics (and it seems like a lot of outbreaks lately), but not much of anything on what some signs of advanced age are. When I read online about bent spines sometimes also being a sign of extreme age, I started to wonder....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
I think you were just seeing signs of old age in your guppies. They are not long lived fish. I wouldn't panic and think the worst.
+1 Old age isn't kind to male guppies especially as the more showy deltatails mature. The timespan you quote makes them senior citizens for sure. The humpack and tail-dragging is common. LFS usually only stock the youngest specimens, hence fish like yours aren't often seen.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I didn't realize the humpback (perfect description) and tail dragging were common, it's something I've never seen addressed before. I had the fish two years - the last one is still alive - but I assume they were adults when I bought them because they never grew in size, nor did their finnage get any bigger other than the dorsal fin. When I bought them the dorsal fin nearly reached to the start of the tail fin, but within a few months as they grew, the dorsal fins draped down the sides of the fish instead of flowing straight back.
You've put my mind at ease! Thanks so much!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The signs of old age and the signs of Mycobacteriosis can be similar, but this sure sounds like old age, not MB.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I agree with everyone else.....I believe my guppies had tb or mycrobacteriosis awhile back. They weren't all old and I lost about 200 of them in 3 different tanks. They also had straight spines that bent as they got more ill. I ended up euthanizing the rest of them and throwing all the plants away.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Diana & Imaginary, one of the reasons I am feeling more and more that it was old age is the span of time since the humpback guppy appeared. In your thread Imaginary, you settled on a 3 month Qt time, I think. I've gone past that now with no new signs.
If I had been able to find half of the info on old age in fish as I could TB in fish, I would have been happy - I guess old age in fish doesn't make for interesting writing, or is too uncommon - lol
I really appreciate those that took the time to respond, thanks!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Too uncommon, I am afraid. Too many fish are placed in crowded or small tanks and that kills them before they reach 'old age'.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Thanks Diana & Imaginary, one of the reasons I am feeling more and more that it was old age is the span of time since the humpback guppy appeared. In your thread Imaginary, you settled on a 3 month Qt time, I think. I've gone past that now with no new signs.
If I had been able to find half of the info on old age in fish as I could TB in fish, I would have been happy - I guess old age in fish doesn't make for interesting writing, or is too uncommon - lol
I really appreciate those that took the time to respond, thanks!

3 month quarantine time? I said it affected 3 tanks. This disease went on literally for months it was horrible. It gradually spread to the 2 other tanks then I caught it and stopped it from spreading further. It was evil I am glad you didn't have to deal with it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Too uncommon, I am afraid. Too many fish are placed in crowded or small tanks and that kills them before they reach 'old age'.
Absolutely agree! I knew I was over crowding the guppies and they were going to get sick but unfortunately I couldn't do anything about it soon enough.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
i had a lone male guppy in a 5.5 gallon tank for 5 or 6 years (all his guppy buddies/family died off before he did), and before he died he developed the curved spine and low tail that you described. i'm not sure about fish TB, but your guppies sound old, not sick (like everyone else has said)...i wouldn't worry about the plants.
if you're still unsure, a short soak in suuuper diluted bleach (search the forum, i've heard of people doing it) would probably kill any bacteria off.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My mistake! I was thinking about another member's thread - it was a lot of info, and I'd have to reread it to be sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary1226 View Post
3 month quarantine time? I said it affected 3 tanks. This disease went on literally for months it was horrible. It gradually spread to the 2 other tanks then I caught it and stopped it from spreading further. It was evil I am glad you didn't have to deal with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode