How long does your CO2 tank last?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long does your CO2 tank last??

Hi all,

I read a post a few minutes ago where a member said his CO2 tank lasted about a year. I thought I'd throw out a question to everyone:

How long does your CO2 tank last?? Include the size of tank, your method of diffusion, and BPS (bubbles per sec) or psi. Basic tank specs as well.

I have a 10 lb tank that lasts 4-5 months. I diffuse my CO2 from the output of my sump, either chopping bubbles or bubbling into my reactor (I've been fiddling with both methods). My bubble count has been about 6-8 peas size bubbles per sec.

I have a 90 gal running high light while I establish a good "jungle".

Thanks

Adam
SAPS member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

1.25 years and counting . . . .
20lb tank, 72 gallon, cheap ceramic diffuser, very slow feed rate . . . ? a few bubbles per second or less.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

3.5 months, more or less

24oz paintball tank, Aquatek regulator, 90 gallon, Aquatek 3-in-1 ceramic diffuser feeding intake on Aquatop CF-500, 4-5 b/p/s, 8 hours a day.

*I don't use a drop checker, therefore I do not know what ppm Co2 I'm running. See sig for further information.

**Edited after Kevmo got me thinking, lol. It should be stated that my first tank with that setup lasted about 3.5 months...maybe they overfilled it? I am pretty "cool" with my paintball folks. Either way, not enough data points to call that an average.

Last edited by Daximus; 03-29-2012 at 03:14 AM.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
10 lbs last about 10 months for a 250gal and 36gal planted tank. ~5 "bubbles" per second according to the 3 bubble counters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
On one of my tanks, 3-4bps with a 5lb cylinder w/ reactor, about 5 months. It sounds so far like the experiences of the OP, proaudio, Wasserpest, and myself are on par with each other, while Daximus' is outside the norm - he's getting a lot more out of his cylinder than I would expect given its size.

To clarify, though, when talking about length of time the cylinder lasts, the important stats are cylinder size, *bubble counter type* (the generic glass bc's have much smaller bubbles than a JBJ, while the cylindrical plastic ones tend to have larger bubbles), bps, hours per day, and possibly regulator pressure. I say "possibly" because, while it's clear that gas at a higher pressure takes up less space than gas at a lower pressure, it's not terribly clear how much pressure is acting on the gas in a bc past the needle valve, especially given varying back pressures due to methods of diffusion.

Anyway, I would guess that what you're looking for is cylinder size and JBJ-style bps, as well as hours per day. That should give you a basic framework to compare.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
On one of my tanks, 3-4bps with a 5lb cylinder w/ reactor, about 5 months. It sounds so far like the experiences of the OP, proaudio, Wasserpest, and myself are on par with each other, while Daximus' is outside the norm - he's getting a lot more out of his cylinder than I would expect given its size.

To clarify, though, when talking about length of time the cylinder lasts, the important stats are cylinder size, *bubble counter type* (the generic glass bc's have much smaller bubbles than a JBJ, while the cylindrical plastic ones tend to have larger bubbles), bps, hours per day, and possibly regulator pressure. I say "possibly" because, while it's clear that gas at a higher pressure takes up less space than gas at a lower pressure, it's not terribly clear how much pressure is acting on the gas in a bc past the needle valve, especially given varying back pressures due to methods of diffusion.

Anyway, I would guess that what you're looking for is cylinder size and JBJ-style bps, as well as hours per day. That should give you a basic framework to compare.
It should be stated that my first tank with that setup lasted about 3.5 months...maybe they overfilled it? I am pretty "cool" with my paintball folks. Either way, not enough data points to call that an average. Updated my original post with this caveat.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
5lb tank - 3 months on my 60P (17 gallons), 5-6 BPS, atomic CO2 diffuser.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Do the above usages include running the co2 24/7 or just during or starting slightly before the photo period ?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I run my CO2 24/7 and a ten pound lasts from 2 to 4 months.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
c02 9 hours on a 29 gallon. 5 lb tank
last about 3 months

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

20# tank. 1.75+ years 6-8 bps on a diffuser 10 hrs a day.

Have you ever seen a French Ninja? NO because they are sneaky.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
20oz. paintball tank. ~2bps. 30 gallon, high light, Hagen diffusion ladder (looking at getting something different). Lasts 6-7 weeks.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Algae Grower

I use these and they last about a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81mhRtryIVL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	2412
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	44867  

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Only filled my tank once so far, but it lasted about a month

24oz, first co2 setup and I ended up blowing the lines off with too much pressure initially, didn't pay attention to psi after immediately after this though so not sure how much was left in the tank after this little episode. There was 1100psi before hand though

20g High, high light, fairly well planted but nothing crazy imo
plastic bubble counter (~1/4" bubbles), around 1 bps with only a needle valve (I know, working on getting a regulator now). So the 1bps is when I check on it each day and re-dial it in every couple of days. It varies unfortunately
glass diffuser directly under my XP1's intake tube to be further mixed by the canister and dispersed by the spraybar into the tank
My drop checker is reading green, no yellow or blue. The solution may be ready to be replaced shortly, though. The drop checker fluid is at about 3 weeks now. Fish are not struggling or gasping for air in any way

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If your looking for a rough number.

5lb tanks average about 3 months.
10lb tanks average about 6 months.
20lb tanks average about s year.

My 5 lb tank running both my 20 high and my 46 bowfront lasts about 3 months maybe just a hair less.I'm using the glass Ada bubble counters. So smaller bubble. I use a cerges reactor on my 46 Abs a ceramic glass diffuser into a hob on the 20 gallon. Bubble rate on the 46 is some where around 15 to 20bps and on the 20 is around 8 to 10bps. Heavily planted each. Run my regulator pressure at 20 to 25 psi.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode