Can't keep plants looking healthy =( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't keep plants looking healthy =(

Hi,

I've had my tropical aquarium for a few years now, always more or less the same setup with plants. However they never seem to look 'healthy', last long or they grow algae.

My Setup:
Tank: 180L Juwel Vision
Lighting: Glo T5 lighting with (2x) 39W tubes. They used to be on for 8 hours a day, now just 6 hours. Works out about 1.95 watts per gallon.
Supplements: only start using Flourish Comprehensive yesterday. Going to use 1 capful (5ml) once a week.

I'm not sure on what plants I have, so heres pictures:
Aquarium:

Middle background/right are these:

The background ones are the original plant and the right ones are replanted snips. Lots of algae growing on them, and leaves fall off a lot.

Background/middle:

2 plants here, pretty much dead. The big leaf on the right was purple underneath.

Left:

My pleco =). These seem to be doing ok, apart from threadlike algae growing on it. It also seems to have roots growing all over it.

Foreground/centre:

Algae growing on it =(

Foreground:

Again algae growing on them. Looks like grass.

I bought a siamese algae eater hoping it would help solve it. It has helped, but it's still there. I have heard shrimps can help?

Any more information needed, just tell me.

Thanks for the help
JM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	44575  

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	44576  

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	44577  

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	44578  

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	44579  

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	44580  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

Are you useing firts,co2,water changes????
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzychas View Post
Are you useing firts,co2,water changes????
Only use Flourish Comprehensive.

No co2, I did have a DIY yeast and sugar co2 for a month or so, but it fell apart and I never got round to re-silconing it.

I change 25l of water twice a week.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That tank is about 20 inches high, and has a two bulb T5HO light on it. Unless the light has very bad reflectors and a poor ballast you have very high light. You need to be dosing a complete "diet" of NPK and trace elements. Flourish Comprehensive is just a trace element mix. See the Fertilizing forum sticky on dosing schemes for a good way to fertilize the tank.

With that much light you also need to provide CO2 for the plants, so they can grow as fast as the light drives them to. DIY CO2 might work if you use two 2 L bottles, staggering their start times, and changing one bottle every week. Pressurized CO2 would work much, much better.

Hoppy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
That tank is about 20 inches high, and has a two bulb T5HO light on it. Unless the light has very bad reflectors and a poor ballast you have very high light. You need to be dosing a complete "diet" of NPK and trace elements. Flourish Comprehensive is just a trace element mix. See the Fertilizing forum sticky on dosing schemes for a good way to fertilize the tank.

With that much light you also need to provide CO2 for the plants, so they can grow as fast as the light drives them to. DIY CO2 might work if you use two 2 L bottles, staggering their start times, and changing one bottle every week. Pressurized CO2 would work much, much better.
thank you very much, I will use a DIY co2 for now. Once I get the money, I shall get pressurised co2.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
also get yourself some good fertilizers and start feeding those things
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
For right now you may see improvement just shading the tank and cutting back on lighting.

I have two Heavenly Bamboo plants in my garden. It is commonly grown in my area and rarely looks healthy. One of mine is on the north side of a 6' fence with a tall cypress and one story house behind it and a 15' Mexican weeping bamboo plant on the west. Green, leafy, flowers and berries nice and I only watered that garden a couple times last year. The other is on the east side of my house. Even though it is next to the drippy outside faucet it is much yellower and grows slower. The greener one probably gets 1/4 the light the yellow one gets and less water. Neither gets any fertilizer ever. It is all about the light!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dam, never realised how confusing this is. I wish I paid more attention in chemistry.

So what I have gathered so far:
50% weekly water change
5ml trace weekly - flourish trace?
1/2 tsp KN03 (3x) weekly - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potassium-Ni...2698218&sr=8-4
3/4 tsp GH Booster weekly - Where can I buy in UK?
1/8 Tsp KH2P04 (3x) a week - Where can I buy in UK?

also as optional iron, can I use my Flourish Comprehensive for that? or Flourish iron? or something else?

Does this sound right?

Are there any good online stores on the UK for this stuff?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Have you found http://ukaps.org/forum/ yet? Suspect there are lots of links to sources of the stuff.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
For right now you may see improvement just shading the tank and cutting back on lighting.

I have two Heavenly Bamboo plants in my garden. It is commonly grown in my area and rarely looks healthy. One of mine is on the north side of a 6' fence with a tall cypress and one story house behind it and a 15' Mexican weeping bamboo plant on the west. Green, leafy, flowers and berries nice and I only watered that garden a couple times last year. The other is on the east side of my house. Even though it is next to the drippy outside faucet it is much yellower and grows slower. The greener one probably gets 1/4 the light the yellow one gets and less water. Neither gets any fertilizer ever. It is all about the light!
+1 on each of Hoppy and Kathyy's posts. I listened to each of them regarding light issues. Long story short, I reduced my light and my tank has really turned around.

Also, what is that in the first picture on the left side? It looks like sunlight? Is your tank directly under a window or does it get any direct sunlight? If so, I would find a way to prevent it. Direct sunlight is a tank killer.

*60g
*Substrate = 50% Florite sand 50% regular Florite
*Lighting 108W of a 216W T5HO Aquatic Life hood 25" from substrate 8.5 hours daily.
*Amarath Redroot, Waterhyssop, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Wisteria, Jungle Val, Moss Ball, Riccia, Nana, Java Lace, Cryptocoryne, Pigmy Chain Sword.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmckmc View Post
+1 on each of Hoppy and Kathyy's posts. I listened to each of them regarding light issues. Long story short, I reduced my light and my tank has really turned around.

Also, what is that in the first picture on the left side? It looks like sunlight? Is your tank directly under a window or does it get any direct sunlight? If so, I would find a way to prevent it. Direct sunlight is a tank killer.
thanks. It's just window reflection. I moved the tank there shortly after I moved in as it doesn't get any direct sunlight =)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Have you found http://ukaps.org/forum/ yet? Suspect there are lots of links to sources of the stuff.
Thanks, they recommended the EI starter kit which has:
2x Dosing Bottles
500g Potassium Nitrate
250g Potassium Phosphate
500g Magnesium Sulphate
250g Chelated Trace

Came to less than 25 with shipping.

Do you know if I can use my Flourish Comprehensive with these? As it has iron and calcium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode