General consensus on bubbles? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
General consensus on bubbles?

I've seen a lot of nice tanks on here in my short time being here but I haven't seen many with bubbles. Is that just preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think it interferes with c02 in some way, which many people with high tech tanks use.

I have a bubbler and a sponge filter (also bubbles) in my tank, but it's very low tech.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
"Bubblers" create surface agitation which allows oxygenation of the water. Surface agitation causes CO2 to gas out of the water much more quickly than it would otherwise.

For the most part, bubbles are just for aesthetics in non-planted tanks. Primarily because surface agitation created by HOB filters or canisters provides enough oxygen for the water. In planted tanks, they're really only used when you need to gas CO2 out quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
More than that, this forum tends to have a majority of people that try and create a natural appearance and move away from things that seem artificial such as sculptures, fake decorations, bubble wands, etc.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I've read the initial post a few times over the last few hours, and I'm just not sure what the OP means by "bubbles". If you (jeremy) could be more specific, we could all probably give a better answer. "Bubbles" created by what, exactly?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Banned

lol, sorry. just bubbles from an airstone.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
ugly,unnatural looking , co2 depleting, not very effective in adding o2
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
ugly

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
ok tacky, cheesy
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
"completely unnecessary" is the term I think we're mostly looking for.

The question I'd ask in response is why would you want "bubbles" in a tank?

Just as an aside, regardless of the gas type (O2, CO2, or other), an airstone doesn't create bubbles small enough to add that gas to the water column. An airstone does create surface agitation, which allows a freer exchange of gas between water column and atmosphere, but an airstone itself adds *nothing* to the water column.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Wow you guys are serious bubble haters. I like my bubbles and my fish seem to enjoy them too. Anyhow, if you're running a low tech tank then it really is a matter of preference. My filter isn't set up so it breaks the surface of the water, so these bubblers also help a bit with that. I've had this set up for over 5 years now and my fish and plants are all doing well.

It doesn't have to be ugly or unnatural looking. I have one of those hideous orange "volcano" bubble decorations, but its covered in java fern so you barely see it. It emits a single line (rather than a curtain) of various sized bubbles that I really like alot. My sponge filter also makes bubbles, but it's ugly so it's at the back of the tank where it's not really visible. It runs on a battery backup (so does the volcano) so I have surface agitation and filtration if the power goes out.

He's a very short vid since it's hard to get pics of the bubbles themselves. Note that I recently removed alot of the java fern on the piece because it was starting to block the opening. When it all grows back in you can't see the orange color of the piece at all.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...bubbles002.mp4
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
No bubble-hating here.

I use an airstone in one of my shrimp tanks because it's awkwardly shaped and I can't get enough water movement. Though, I prefer just to run airstones in my water storage tanks to prevent stagnation.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Wendyjo, that looks really nice.

I don't like bubbles in the tank, extra equipment hanging around and air pumps are loud.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Yea, lots of bubble haters I like em, oh well.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I personally love bubbles - not necessarily the full blast that the air pumps create but a slower pace with bubbles coming out of rock work or something similar.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode