how does a 40g heavily planted breeder with 20-30 green tiger barbs sound? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
how does a 40g heavily planted breeder with 20-30 green tiger barbs sound?

Does this sound cool to anyone? I've seen them in huge shoals in big tanks at the LFS before and they seem super active and fun.

And if I do this.. I should get my 6 neons and 6 harlenquin rasboros out of the tank first right, cause I know they can be feisty. That is part of the appeal of them to me. I've only had peaceful community tanks my whole life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think 20 would be better than 30.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea I would start with like 10-15 and ease em in till it seems just right.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have 30 in a 125 and its a bit much, feeding time is fun tho. Since your going planted they should be fine If they don't have places to tuck into and sleep at durring lights off they seem to turn on each other pretty quick.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bought a dozen of these. 1 died due to shock but the others are doing great. I have noticed 2 going at it for a couple days, probably to establish demonincy right? Also, they haven't messed with the neons or harlenquins yet, and have swam along side them.

I am going to get 10 more this weekend, I love their energy!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yep, Barbs are always grousing with each other. I have 9 and there's a definite "alpha" ... But with so many other fish, his aggression is spread around so nobody gets hurt.

And I would start with about a dozen fish then add a half dozen more at a time, until it "feels right".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never had barbs before because I know they can get a lil nippy and I always had peaceful community tanks.

But I had to restock and wanted a little more life, and stuff to watch in the tank. I like the pecking order, and they are sure fun to feed.

I'm gonna leave the neons and harlenquins in as dither fish unless I notice any nibbling. And yea, 6 sounds like a good number and I will keep adding, until the traffic is sufficient for my eyes, and of course the ammonia and nitrate levels test well. The tank is heavily filtered (2 eheim 2217s and a large biowheel HOB for surface flow)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like your filtration is more then strong enough. I've had pretty good luck with putting in fish that don't normally do well with tiger barbs as long as they can make it over night they normally don't bother them anymore.

Dither fish aren't needed at all with them if they aren't already cut the amount your feeding way back but increase the frequency. They will be greeting anything that moves by the tank in a day or two.

My current stock is
30x Tiger barb
4x Albino tiger barb
3x Giant danio
3x Pictus cat fish
4x Red eye tetra (plan on adding a few more and getting dumping the danio's as some point)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode