Introducing native plants to ponds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Introducing native plants to ponds

I am going to our property this weekend, and it has one large pond that we believe is spring fed and always contains water. I am going to introduce some plants to that pond, including pennywort collected at a lake near my house and some fissidens fontanus. For some reason the pond has almost no vegetation, so this will be pretty good for the pond I think. My only concern is the plants (fissidens especially) being able to get started growing in the pond. One pond dries up occasionally (not very often, only once in last years heat wave) and is growing lots of plants this year. How should I go about introducing the plants?

I may get some good samples of the plants already there and see how they grow in my aquariums. There are a few different sizes of hairgrass and a weird, abundant, fragile plant that grows there.

Any ideas? I'm leaving tommorow. Oh, and I might be going to put some guppy culls in the smaller pond that currently has no fish. They should die over the winter but reproduce rapidly so maybe they would be like a perrenial fish. Just an experiement and a way to hopefully get some cool looking fish in the fall.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Be very careful about what your doing.

In some cases, introducing some of our aquarium plants into the wild is illegal and carries massive fines. I see your in Texas. That's kind of far south, and plants like pennywort may be considered a noxious weed. Check local, state, and federal laws here.

Ditto for fish introductions. You might think those guppies are harmless, but they could cause a major issue if they crowd out native fish, or get loose in other areas.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
That is definitely a concern, and I agree with you. However, these plants can be found wild here. The kind of pennywort I have collected is found in texas natively and so is fissidens fontanus. I am very firm about not introducing harmful organisms into ecosystems around me, as I can see what they do.

What I am trying to do is introducing native plants to barren, man-made ponds to increase the diversity of the ecosystem. Instead of stocking fish, I am trying to start from the bottom up to provide a healthy ecosystem for the fish. The guppies I am certain cannot survive in the winter temperatures of this pond, as they are near freezing. I am more interested in seeing how they survive and multiply in a more natural setting until the winter.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode