Just went to get a bulb and fert - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just went to get a bulb and fert

The Sword don't look the best so i got it for $3 vrs $7

Last edited by speerwashere; 07-13-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Worst part is I didn't get a T5HO for my 55g, couldn't find one so I picked up a T8 15w for my 10g.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you have an old 48" hood for your 55 you can make your own t5ho for $25 in 15 min

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh I have a T5HO Odyssea 54wx2 fixture I just went to get a 6500k or simular bulb
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I picked some flourish comp and had some excel. How should I fert these plants? 10g tank with 1x15w 410 lumens plant and aquarium bulb. If I had yeast on hand I would have DIY Co2 going. Think I should do Co2?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten View Post
If you have an old 48" hood for your 55 you can make your own t5ho for $25 in 15 min
How do you do this? Why not start a thread in the DIY forum about this?

Hoppy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM
s_s
Algae Grower

The sword looks "beat up" but i wouldn't worry about it. Pictured it has emerged grown leaves. Give it some light and it happily shed those and grow submerged leaves.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
How do you do this? Why not start a thread in the DIY forum about this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_s View Post
The sword looks "beat up" but i wouldn't worry about it. Pictured it has emerged grown leaves. Give it some light and it happily shed those and grow submerged leaves.
Looks beat up was my first thought but it's a Echinodorus cordifolius plant or "Marble Queen Radican Sword" so most the lines in it are natural but a few leaves are whopped, but one of my ramshorn snail was on it and cleaned it up some. I looked these plants up some are high light with Co2 required, cardinal plant and the micro sword I think I'll have to look again tomarrow to be sure Bad back and viks at night to sleep woo
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Ah didn't really understand the emerged grown leaves lastnight (damn pain pills) but I got it this morning. How can you tell it was grown emerged?
Reading up on these plants I see a couple do require CO2 so I need to get some yeast and then I can start that up, but these 2 require high light so not sure if they are going to make it anyways. I have the 15w bulb plus a row of 3w white led strip lights, I can also run a row of blue if needed. Would this be high light? I know nothing else about the strip lights but I have 5 rows white and 2 rows blue on my 29g for light and hornwort grows but that's not saying much.

Last edited by speerwashere; 07-13-2012 at 03:53 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 PM
s_s
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by speerwashere View Post
Ah didn't really understand the emerged grown leaves lastnight (damn pain pills) but I got it this morning. How can you tell it was grown emerged?
Most Echinodorus spp. (well, those closely related to E. amazonicus) have two leave types they grow, elliptical shaped emerged growth and broad "sword shaped" submerged leaves.

Granted, if your emerged leaves are melting and your not growing new submerged leaves there might be a problem, but I generally wouldn't worry about it--swords are pretty undemanding.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Most Echinodorus spp. (well, those closely related to E. amazonicus) have two leave types they grow, elliptical shaped emerged growth and broad "sword shaped" submerged leaves.

Granted, if your emerged leaves are melting and your not growing new submerged leaves there might be a problem, but I generally wouldn't worry about it--swords are pretty undemanding.
Thanks, looks like 1 submerged leave so far right in the center of the plant. And I see my Cardinal plant is not really a plant that grows fully submerged
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerwashere View Post
I picked some flourish comp and had some excel. How should I fert these plants? 10g tank with 1x15w 410 lumens plant and aquarium bulb. If I had yeast on hand I would have DIY Co2 going. Think I should do Co2?
Just follow the directions on the bottles except you might ignore the high initial dose of the Excel, that stuff is scary.

CO2 is amazing and in your low light set up the plants will be fine with whatever extra you can offer them. You don't NEED it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks but already did the high dose, I did have 2 ghost shrimps left in the tank and found 1 dead since
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Oh well, hope the other one is okay. Shrimp are neat little things to have around. I dosed according to the bottle for years without a problem with an Amano shrimp in the tank but it just isn't necessary to do that high dose.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode