Something in the filter box "stung" me- what was it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Something in the filter box "stung" me- what was it?

I put my right hand in the filter box to clean the media. It felt itchy, then I removed my hand and it burned for the next 2 hrs. Benadryl topical cream didn't help it much. A few red blotches were visible.
I put my left hand in the main tank and nothing happened.

I'm concerned because I've noticed some platties and rams flashing, but I see no signs of ich nor hydra nor anything else that could bother them.

Any speculations on what caused the irritation on my hand? First time I've ever hurt myself cleaning a tank! Ouch! Felt like jellyfish sting- can hydra sting people that badly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you feed bloodworms at all, either live or dried? Some people are allergic to them.

What type of media do you have in the filter box?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If I were you, I'd start looking for a small piece of broken glass in your filter.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
AS DEEDA mention. bloodworms can bite but its no a really painful thing. maybe itchy and burny like u said. i've never felt one i just know they can

they will not look like the bloodworms u feed fish frozen. those are some sort of red worm that gets called bloodworm.

bloodworms are pink

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Glass wouldn't make the hand blotchy and itchy.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Glass wouldn't make the hand blotchy and itchy.
What's on the glass might.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Occasionally my hand gets itchy/red when I mess with the tank water. Itll seem like a mild allergic reaction to whatever is in the water. Doesn't happen every time though. Maybe something similar?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Get it checked out either way by a doctor.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have that happen from time to time when i have to dig thru the substrate, i think its an alergy to some sort of bacteria in the substrate, or in your case filter media.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes it seemed like some allergic reaction. However whenever I have an allergic reaction my hand will itch, it will never BURN and burn for 2 hours. I almost put vinegar on my hand like when you get a jellyfish sting! I expected the Benadryl to provide some comfort but it really didn't make a difference. Hence my thinking it was not an allergic reaction. Then again, splotchy skin is typical of an allergy.
I don't have any known allergies besides the usual seasonal ones

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I appreciate it. I do not feed bloodworms at all, so it can't be bloodworms. The burning feeling reminded me of getting glass particles in my skin- I hope that's never happened to you, but some of you must know what fiberglass can feel like

I'll definitely be a little more cautious with sticking my hand is particularly grungy areas of the tank, such as the filter box. I just wanted to report it here so that you may be cautious too!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Do you have blue green algae in your tank? I know some people have bad reactions when touching this stuff. As for bloodworms, most people don't suffer from bites from live bloodworms, rather from the worms themselves. There's caution labels on dried and frozen bloodworms.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I get tiny little bumps on my fingers/hands, maybe like two-four a week if i do alot of tank maintenance....they are itchy and look like really little bug bites, i also figure its an allergic reaction to the plants or something similar...

I hope your hand feels better and it doesn't happen again!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
These posts are making me afraid to put my hand in my fishtanks! Actually, I get a bad reaction to bloodworms (even frozen) so I know to avoid touching them.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
Do you have blue green algae in your tank?
+1

It sounds like a reaction to something. I'd guess bga. It's happened to me before.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ah yes, once I started with this hobby I did get itchy bumps similar to bug bites on my arms. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks everyone. We'll just attribute it to a particularly painful allergic reaction to something in the filter box, be it algae or bacteria.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode