Canister disaster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Canister disaster

I got an email message from my wife telling me that my youngest son pulled the hose off of my intake tube of my ecco pro 2236, and that an alarm was going off. (I have a water detector alarm in my cabinet for just such an event. Well, she was able to reconnect the hose, but didn't know how to turn off the alarm. The alarm masked the sound of my ecco 2236 impeller rattling away. By the time I got home, the filter was dead silent and HOT! I found the impeller shattered inside the unit.

My questions are:

Do you think the canister will still work, by merely replacing the impeller?

How long can I keep the tank without a filter (55 gallon with a Hydor Koralia 425 for surface movement). I shut down the CO2 and cut back on the photoperiod to keep algae at bay. I think it will take at least a week to order a replacement.

Is there anywhere in the Chicagoland area that carries Eheim canisters.... I am thinking of going with a classic 2217 for greater flow.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I by no means an expert, but I think you could probably make it a week. I would add some air stones in the mean time and maybe even a small powerhead if you have one hanging around, for circulation ...I love my 2217 btw.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Alternative

I have an Aquatop (CF400UV 4-Stage Canister Filter with UV 9W - 370 gph) and I'm very happy with it's performance - powerful, easy to maintain, very quiet, and you cannot beat the price - $90 shipped!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I wouldn't give up on the filter yet. A new impeller might be all that's needed.

I had a pump that was running dry for I don't know, maybe a week? The impeller had turned to flour. I gave it a good rinsing, put another impeller in, and it started right up.

Of course, if you were looking for an excuse to upgrade...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Of course, if you were looking for an excuse to upgrade...
Thanks!

Lemons into lemonade I always say

Which begs the questions... Can Eheim classics be found anywhere around the Chicagoland area?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Second the Aquatop recommendation (same as Sun Sun). You really can't go wrong here. Better than all the Eheims I have owned.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keep the bacteria alive with water flow and some ammonia. You can put the media into a bucket with an air stone or small pump. Do not leave the bacteria in the canister to just sit there with no oxygen.
If this is not a planted tank then the fish will need the ammonia removing abilities of those bacteria. Right away. If you have any sort of filter at all (a large HOB, for example) put as much of the cycled media in there and run it on the tank until you get the new filter set up. Then move that media to the new filter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Small daily water changes will greatly assist the fish and tank while you work out your filter issues

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Keep the bacteria alive with water flow and some ammonia. You can put the media into a bucket with an air stone or small pump. Do not leave the bacteria in the canister to just sit there with no oxygen.
If this is not a planted tank then the fish will need the ammonia removing abilities of those bacteria. Right away. If you have any sort of filter at all (a large HOB, for example) put as much of the cycled media in there and run it on the tank until you get the new filter set up. Then move that media to the new filter.
Excellent advice, thank you! I put most of the filter media in a cotton sock and attached it to a small power filter I had laying around. It is not the prettiest thing, but it will do until my new filter arrives.

I didn't wan't to chance ordering and waiting for a new impeller, only to find the motor was shot and have wait another week for a canister. Today I ordered a classic 2217 from Bigals.... I hope it gets here soon! It will be interesting to see if my flow rate improves through my inline heater and cerges style reactor, compared to the old ecco 2236.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Contact the company. Filter may be under warrantee.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Those filters don't really have a "motor". The impeller is half of the motor. The other half is what is left in the filter head when you remove the impeller. I doubt that it is damaged enough to keep it from working with a new impeller, if it is damaged at all.

Hoppy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Last week, the impeller in one of my filters went. On sunday, I ordered a replacement from Big Als, and had it installed Wed evening with standard shipping! No issues.

180g - Tropheus Bemba, Syno Petricola
125g - Planted SA Community, Firemouths & Acaras
90g - High Tech Planted
20g - low tech planted
6g - Eheim low tech nano planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode