Sump Design - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sump Design

Picture not the greatest, but you get the point. Left and Right side would have drains. Next section over on each side would have filter media, middle would have pump and heater. Is it worth it to change it any benfit?

Any reason I could not setup so my pump in the middle section?

The way I have it right now, my pump on the far left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	44478  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
YOU could put it in the middle but ur not going to get much flow on the other end from the drain unless you circulate it with another pump

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
It should work just like the one I'm having built. Will be fed from each end with the pump in the middle. My tank as a corner overflow in each corner that will drop down into the sump.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
It should work just like the one I'm having built. Will be fed from each end with the pump in the middle. My tank as a corner overflow in each corner that will drop down into the sump.

That a very nice sump. What the benefit of having the pump in the middle? The main reason I was thinking about going this route is that I was going to switch over to Herbie Drain system. So I would have 4 drains from my tank, 2 backup would go direct to the pump area. The 2 primary would go to the sides. I would think that would give me a lot of flow still from the sides?

Just wondering what do you plan to do in your overflow boxes? Do you have 2 bulkheads in each box? I have my tank all torn down right now and figured if it would be better to make the changes to the sump now the time to do it.

Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
YOU could put it in the middle but ur not going to get much flow on the other end from the drain unless you circulate it with another pump

Even if I am going to have 2 drains? One primary on each side, backup drains will go direct to the pump area. I was thinking main benefit would be not having to worry about the pump running out of water so easy?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
That a very nice sump. What the benefit of having the pump in the middle? The main reason I was thinking about going this route is that I was going to switch over to Herbie Drain system. So I would have 4 drains from my tank, 2 backup would go direct to the pump area. The 2 primary would go to the sides. I would think that would give me a lot of flow still from the sides?

Just wondering what do you plan to do in your overflow boxes? Do you have 2 bulkheads in each box? I have my tank all torn down right now and figured if it would be better to make the changes to the sump now the time to do it.

Thanks
There is one Durso style overflow on each side of the tank. This just makes the plumbing under my stand cleaner looking.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
There is one Durso style overflow on each side of the tank. This just makes the plumbing under my stand cleaner looking.

I think that what I am going to do as well, go with the Durso. This trying to adjust everything and make it silent is just going to be so much work, and not sure if it even going to work. Wife getting to the point she really annoyed with me about it being to loud.

Do you think it would benefit to move the pump to the middle?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the pump is larger, and capable of moving the water from 2 drains, then having the center-pump style looks pretty good. Allows the drains at each end of the tank to flow into the sump with fewer fittings (always a good idea) and the pump can go up to the center of the tank (as long as there is not a support right there) to refill the tank.
Gives you more area to set up media, and the option of cleaning half at a time for less disturbance of the bacteria.

My tanks with sumps (I have 3 of them) have smaller pumps than that, entirely capable of moving all the water from just one drain. So I have them set up in more or less a straight line.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Even if I am going to have 2 drains? One primary on each side, backup drains will go direct to the pump area. I was thinking main benefit would be not having to worry about the pump running out of water so easy?
WELL having one on both sides. CHANGES everything

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Since I am about 99% sure I am going to do Herbie style overflow, I think moving the pump at this point is mute.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Not really wanting to go with Herbie, but tank in the living room and wife not happy with how loud it is. No luck using Durso, the air bubbles in the sump are just to loud.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode