HELP problems with new fish tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
HELP problems with new fish tank

hello everybody. This is my first post cause im having trouble with my new aquarum. I finally got the walmart 10 gallen. Saved up for a year to get it. I set it up yesterday and waited til today to add 4 medum angel fish. They looked great in the store but there swimming really funny now. one keeps swimming upside down... I turned him around liek 5 times now. They havent ate yet but i dumped a bunch of food in for when they do get hungry. the temp fells a little cold but the water taste fine so I dont think thats the problem. Does anyone know whats wrong with them? Do you think I was sold bad fish???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
You should return those fish to the store immediately or they will die. There are alot of issues with what you've posted and I'm not sure where to start. Ugh.

First off a 10 gallon tank is not even appropriate for one angel fish - it is way too small. Do some research on "angel fish care".

Another issue is that you did not prepare your tank for fish. Do some research on the "Nitrogen cycle" - this is a process that grows bacteria in your tank and filter that will turn the fish waste, which is toxic to them and will kill them, into a less harmful substance that can be removed with weekly water changes. This process typically takes 6-8 weeks. Right now your fish are being poisoned by the water that they are in, and it will kill them quickly. Just because the water looks clear does not mean that it is suitable for fish. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate that builds up in the tank are clear and odorless. Dumping a bunch of food in will add to this problem as it produces more ammonia as it sits in the tank and rots. Read the food label - it probably says to feed only as much as they will eat in 3 minutes. But in any event your fish are sick and eating is the last thing they want to do, so stop dumping food in.

Return the fish asap and then sit down at your computer and do alot of research before buying more. You will never be able to keep angels in a 10 gallon tank, but there are lots of smaller fish you could keep. Research the nitrogen cycle first, then research things like water conditioners, temperature for a tropical fish tank, basic fish care, fish appropriate for a 10 gallon tank, etc. Honestly, if you saved up for a year to buy a tank then you should have been doing this research during that time instead of waiting until after you buy the fish.

And speaking of temp and water conditioner - did you treat the water with a conditioner before adding the fish? And what is the actual temp of the tank? What type of filter are you running?

Also, please don't drink the aquarium water.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 AM
s_s
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Ed View Post
Saved up for a year to get it.
You saved money for a year and did no research on fish keeping at all? I'm guessing you are young. Perhaps Twilight aged.

Quote:
I set it up yesterday and waited til today
I wouldn't really call that waiting.

Fishless cycling can take up to two months.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
Hmmmm......

Walmart 10 gallon...... saved for a year....

Drinking aquarium water......

What's wrong with this picture???

Rena Pimp # 171 2 Rena Filstar XP3s
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shoot me now I can't believe what I just read.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Everyone calm down, clearly this person is new to fish keeping yes this is scenario we would never want to see but its happened. lets help the person and the fish.

As Wendyjo said first things first take the fish back before its to late to save them. secondly you really do need to do some research, this isn't a hobby you can just jump right into.

Let us know when you get the fish back and then we can get you set up the right and correct way so it will be something to enjoy and not have a disaster like this!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
hello everybody. This is my first post cause im having trouble with my new aquarum. I finally got the walmart 10 gallen. Saved up for a year to get it. I set it up yesterday and waited til today to add 4 medum angel fish. They looked great in the store but there swimming really funny now. one keeps swimming upside down... I turned him around liek 5 times now. They havent ate yet but i dumped a bunch of food in for when they do get hungry. the temp fells a little cold but the water taste fine so I dont think thats the problem. Does anyone know whats wrong with them? Do you think I was sold bad fish???
Probably a bad idea to drink your aquarium water. Pretty much fish poop soup. Well, you found this site so there is still hope. Best suggestion is to do a bit of reading before you get any more fish. Research the hobby a bit and invest in a test kit for your water parameters. They are far more accurate than the old "well it tastes fine so it must be fine" method of yesteryear.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Planted Member

How do you guys with thousands of posts not know a troll when you see one lol.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mc View Post
How do you guys with thousands of posts not know a troll when you see one lol.
i was about to say the same thing....however, with thousands of posts, this thread is just a drop in the bucket and can get lost among hundreds of other threads so the troll effect, if it is truly one, will quickly fade into the background, aka---almost impossible to make a "troll dent" in this community; especially through this approach.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
........ I finally got the walmart 10 gallen. Saved up for a year to get it.......

The troll had me till he said this.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Obvious troll is obvious...

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

I needed a good laugh tonight.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Troll or not, thousands of people read these forums so I'd prefer to try to give some decent advice rather than just yell TROLL and give no advice.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I work with hundreds of people daily, thousands monthly.... This is not beyond something I could see happening. besides 10-12 year old wanting to keep fish, working on small allowance... Anything is possible

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode