Establishing a new canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Establishing a new canister filter?

40gl tank up & running very well for 3mos. Heavily planted, 50% weekly W/C, moderately stocked, no algae problems. Filtration is a HOB & a power sponge.

Last night, I added a canister and removed the power sponge. I was thinking I'd leave the HOB run for a week before I remove it. I believe I should have a strong enough bacterial colony in the new canister by then.

Am I being too optimistic???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Most of the bacteria is in the substrate, filters have minimal bacteria in them. I'd say let them run for a week, and then you can remove the hob filter.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since no changes where made inside the tank I think you would be fine just swapping them out straight up. You're probably already set in my opinion.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Dax my friend, I'm sure you are right. I think this tank would be fine with no filter, if I was willing to up the maint. so it it looked nice enough to be in my living room.

I would be interested in hearing about any studies about how long it takes to colonize a new filter if anyone has a link. More for my on going education.

Funny when I fired up the canister along with there HOB and the power sponge the fish were looking at me what are you doing it's like a Tsunami in here.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Dax my friend, I'm sure you are right. I think this tank would be fine with no filter, if I was willing to up the maint. so it it looked nice enough to be in my living room.

I would be interested in hearing about any studies about how long it takes to colonize a new filter if anyone has a link. More for my on going education.

Funny when I fired up the canister along with there HOB and the power sponge the fish were looking at me what are you doing it's like a Tsunami in here.
Hahhahha!

I have no way to tell when a filter has bacteria, other wise I would love to test.

I recently cycled my newly set up 30 gallon in three days simply by changing it's water twice with water from my 90 and tossing an old sponge from another tank in there. I pulled the sponge out day 3...hasn't crashed yet.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I recently cycled my newly set up 30 gallon in three days simply by changing it's water twice with water from my 90 and tossing an old sponge from another tank in there. I pulled the sponge out day 3...hasn't crashed yet.
Now your preaching to the choir, brother Dax. Look what I did cycle wise with my Toxic Ten :big grin:

I guess I'm just be over cautious because this one is doing so well. I believe I have two pairs of Ceylon Combtails out of the original 6 (double murder/sucide)
P would like to try to breed them. There are double tough more like cichlids than any Gourami I've ever owned.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Can you move the Filter media from the HOB into the canister? That's what I'd do, even if I had to cut it up into smaller pieces to do so. Then you won't have any worries.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
+1 to this.

And if you have any extra space in your canister at all, it could be a good place for extra material - just in case you want to use it on another tank in the future once your Multiple Tank Syndrome fully develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Can you move the Filter media from the HOB into the canister? That's what I'd do, even if I had to cut it up into smaller pieces to do so. Then you won't have any worries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wendy - I'm not in that big of a hurry. I'l just run both for awhile. In my HOBs i use a single pc of 10PPI foam. I really don't want to cut that up. The HOB will go on one of the "fish basement tanks" until it's called up for duty again.

Somewhatshocked - Too late on the Multiple Tank Syndrome,
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm wanting to switch from running my 2 Aquaclear 30 HOB filters to a canister this summer but hadn't really figured out what I was going to do for the transition.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
I replaced an internal filter with a canister on a established 55gal without overlapping them with no problem. As mentioned above, there should be plenty of bacteria in the aquarium itself.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it is heavily planted, you are more likely to be able to swap the filters without any problem.

Canister filters tend to have much more capacity for nitrifying bacteria. In most cases you should be fine.

Why not dump, however, some of the media from the HOB into the canister filter? That'll be the strong guarantee against some catastrophic spike.

Swap them out but put some of the HOB media into the Canister.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosag View Post
...Why not dump, however, some of the media from the HOB into the canister filter? That'll be the strong guarantee against some catastrophic spike.

Swap them out but put some of the HOB media into the Canister.
As posted previous, I do understand the technique. I'm not willing to cut up the 10PPI foam I use in that HOB. This is an extra HOB that sees duty on a Q-Tank when needed, it's also a back-up. I keep it running all the time on one of my plant grow out tanks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
As posted previous, I do understand the technique. I'm not willing to cut up the 10PPI foam I use in that HOB. This is an extra HOB that sees duty on a Q-Tank when needed, it's also a back-up. I keep it running all the time on one of my plant grow out tanks.
I think they are suggesting that you stuff that foam, if possible, temporarily, into the canister...whole. Park the HOB for a while. Then when you decide you need your HOB back go fetch the foam out, by that time whatever else is in your can will be seeded. That assumes your canister can hold media larger than your HOB.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
when i added my sump. i started with completely new media. i left the cannister running for 6 days.
i removed cannister as it go in my way and i was tired of it. i was prepared to do daily water changes to deal with ammonia. tank is WELL STOCKED
i had no ammonia changes
1-2 weeks time should be PLENTY

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode