Is This Desk OK - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is This Desk OK

Hello all I have been soaking up allot on this site and I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information you have provided.
I have kept fish cichlids for around 10 years before my kids were born, when they came along 3 boys I found a lack of time for fish. I came home one day after work to find the water in my aquarium milky white apparently my 3 year old dumped a glass of milk in the tank. I then decided to take a break from fish keeping.
Now my kids are grown up youngest is eighteen I have more time to get back into the hobby.
When I was keeping fish back in the day the internet was just a pup it is now grown up much to my delight. So now I can ask this question to the world.
Do you think I can put a 25g on this desk it is made of maple it seems to have a lot of reinforcement I donít really want to buy a stand
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4939.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	44413

Name:	IMG_4940.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	44414

Name:	IMG_4941.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	44415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)
I think it will be fine if you don't mind inevitable water damage. The tank will weigh around 250-275 pounds. If you have someone about that weight who can sit on the desk and give it a good test without it showing and weakness it should work. I would position it more towards the drawer side of the desk, where it is the strongest, as opposed to centering it. Either way, it should be fine.

I have a 12 gallon tank on a laminated particle board night stand with no problems. lol

My First Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not sure how big you are, but can you sit on top of the desk without it feeling wobbly at all? A filled 25 gallon is going to weigh almost 300 pounds. The construction of the desk is definitely enough to hold the weight (it's amazing how little wood it takes to do that my only concern would be the right side of the desk. Those legs look like they could prism if they aren't well attached at the top, then the whole thing would come crashing off the side.

You might also consider relocating your power strip. Any sort of leak/spill is going to go right on top of it.

ETA: Great minds ucantimagine.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)
lol Jason. for sure!

My First Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

Thanks here is a shot of the legs and its a 29 Gal sorry typo

Name:	IMG_4948.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	44425

Name:	IMG_4949.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	44426
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you're not wanting to spend a lot of money on an actual stand, you can hit the hardware store and get the materials to either reinforce the desk or even turn it into an actual stand. Just a thought.....

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm thinking about screwing it to the wall just to make sure
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got a 75 gallon on a pretty janky desk I bought from a thrift store. Youll be fine.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I don't trust the two legs. If your going to use it consider moving most of the weight over the drawers.

Of course that's coming from a guy that had a steel stand wielded up that will hold a dump truck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just echoing what's already been said: It will probably be better if you move it over to the drawer-side of the desk. That way it looks like there are two paths of support along the length of the tank, and (imho, more importantly) the support is closer to symmetrical.

If you leave it over the open part of the desk, I'd be worried that the weight over time would cause the desk to sag, leaving the tank un-level, and possibly in a manner that would cause all of the weight to be focused on a couple stress points.

If you aren't in a rush to set it up, it may be worth leveling the desk, and then piling up ~300 lbs worth of rocks, sand, 5 gallon buckets full of water, whatever. (try to keep it all based on a foot print of the same size as the tank)

Then see if there is any noticeable sagging/deflection (don't trust your eyes, use a straightedge and level) immediately, and again after a couple weeks.

anyways, I think it will probably hold. And I wouldn't suggest screwing it into the wall, At best, I think it would do pretty much very little, and at worst, could tear a bunch of little holes in your wall. unless you are in an earthquake area, then it may be worth throwing some straps around the tank/desk that attach to the wall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode