New to Freshwater and new 15g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Freshwater and new 15g

Hello All,

I want to say this is my first experience with Freshwater aquariums. I have had reef for 7 years and now that I have a son I thought we would start with a freshwater tank. The tank is a standard 15g with dual 65 watt pc's. One 6700k and the other actinic. I know the actinic does not do anything but it is what I have. I also have a 10k that I could put in but thought it would be too much light. I have 40lbs of eco complete substaight with a piece of driftwood (have no clue as to what type) a aquaclear 70 filter running BRS 8 carbon, ammonia remover, and sponge. Have a few plants and a few fish. The tank has been up and running for about 3 months.

Question one is this too much light. Should I run both or just one of the 65 watt bulbs.

How often should I be changing the water?

What type of water should I use? I have access to RO or RODI or tap water.

Again thank you for all your help.

Great site by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

I think you should just run 1 bulb. Some people change water every week, some every couple of months, all depends on you and what your tank is setup for. People do water changes in planted tanks to reset the cycle when adding ferts, but if you have just fish and a couple plants no dosing, you could still do it once a week to replace trace elements.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think you should just run one bulb, for sure. That's still going to put you on the high light side. How are the plants you have in there now growing? What type of fish do you have? I do 25% weekly water changes. Personally, I'd start with using your tap water and if you have trouble with things in the future you can switch to the RO. Just be sure you are dechlorinating it with a product like Prime or something like that to make it fish-safe. You will want to think about if you want to run Co2 or not. Take a look at the DIY Co2 you can make, its cheap, its easy, your son would probably enjoy watching it work. Also adding some fertilizers helps too. You can buy these at most pet chain stores. I'd suggest Flourish comprehensive to start. These together will make your plants look great. Also, with that wattage you should be able to get some plants to be nice and red. Go to the shop and swap thread here and take a look at all the different plants people sell and often give away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity of Dirt #72

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlambchops View Post
I think you should just run 1 bulb. Some people change water every week, some every couple of months, all depends on you and what your tank is setup for. People do water changes in planted tanks to reset the cycle when adding ferts, but if you have just fish and a couple plants no dosing, you could still do it once a week to replace trace elements.
Thank you for the reply. I thought one would be enough but wanted to make sure. I will start doing the weekly since I already do it with the reef it should not be a problem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Fishy View Post
I think you should just run one bulb, for sure. That's still going to put you on the high light side. How are the plants you have in there now growing? What type of fish do you have? I do 25% weekly water changes. Personally, I'd start with using your tap water and if you have trouble with things in the future you can switch to the RO. Just be sure you are dechlorinating it with a product like Prime or something like that to make it fish-safe. You will want to think about if you want to run Co2 or not. Take a look at the DIY Co2 you can make, its cheap, its easy, your son would probably enjoy watching it work. Also adding some fertilizers helps too. You can buy these at most pet chain stores. I'd suggest Flourish comprehensive to start. These together will make your plants look great. Also, with that wattage you should be able to get some plants to be nice and red. Go to the shop and swap thread here and take a look at all the different plants people sell and often give away.
Thanks. I have to prune a few of the plants regularly as they grow to tall and start shading the rest from above. Is this bad/good? Also I use tap water with prime. As for C02 I could probably t off my calcium reactor. I would just need to get a bubble counter correct.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode