This can't be good? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
This can't be good?

In my 75g, open top tank, it appears there are little white dots jumping around on the surface of the water...thoughts about what they are? never had them before, not sure what kind of insects they might be, and am wondering if i should be concerned for my fish.

I added some new plants bought from the SNS about a week ago, but other than that, nothing's changed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP TANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
"Jumping around"? What exactly do you mean by this? How can anything "jump around" under water (especially when it is little)? Water is too viscous for that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Daphnia, maybe?

http://www.google.com/search?q=daphn...Dqni0QHqrrikCQ

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

DECOMMISSIONED

DECOMMISSIONED

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
updated odd that these guys are jumping on the surface of the water.

RIP TANKS

"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
... on the surface of the water.
On the surface? So, have you confirmed that these are actually some living critters, i.e. they have bodies, legs etc? Because it is a rather typical occurrence when gas bubbles escape from the water, they produce extremely small droplets of water that shoot up from the surface. (Pretty much the same effect can be observed over a freshly poured glass of soda.) For an unprepared observer this might look like small insects jumping on the surface. In reality it is just very small water "dots" that appear when a gas bubble collapses at the surface.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I used to have some critters like that on an open top 20 gallon. I thought they were water fleas, but wasn't sure. No harm came to any of my fish or shrimp and they didn't seen to grow in population. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
some sort of springtail.. there are plenty of bugs that can jump through and on water

ur fishies if hungry will pick at them

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode