Best way to move an established aquarium? Help!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way to move an established aquarium? Help!!

What is the best way to move en established aquarium without having to take it down all the way and without breaking the tank?

I have a 20g high that is soil/kittylitter substrates topped with sand and gravel. It has extensive rockwork creating a mountainous aquascape, in which cases in some places in the tank (the "mountains") the substrate and rock are 6in high. I did use some sytrafoam at the bottom to get more variety in height, without extra weight. It is pretty heavily planted with swords and crypts (well rooted in the soil substrate)

Anyway, the point is I have to move this aquarium because we are moving to a bigger apartment. Luckily it is right downstairs from where we are now, but I'm still struggling to think how to move this tank without destroying all my hard work and killing my fish. Even with draining all the water it will still be very heavy, so I'm worried it will break/we won't be able to move it. Anyone have any insights or tips?

Please help! I love this tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
you've really already answered your own question... if it's too heavy even without the water in it, then you've really no choice.

I'd suggest getting a rolling furniture dolly or something flat with wheels you can put it on, roll it from the old location all the way to the new one. you might have to remove all the fish and water though. go get some buckets from lowes or home depot
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

I would transfer all of the fish and any other critters to a bucket, and drain the tank completely, maybe storing the water in multiple other buckets. You could also try digging a hole in one corner (or somewhere where you can dig a hole) and once the water is drained, let the remaining water contained in the substrate seep out of the substrate into the hole, then siphon that out as well (if that makes any sense). It'll be messy, but it might save you from a complete overhaul. Also, if there's any rocks or wood that can come out, pull that out as well.

And finally, get a few BIG guys to help you. They can lift a lot more, in my experience.

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was planning on removing the fish and draining it, but do you think the tank will break? I think I can get my strapping brothers to help carry it, so I'm more concerned with breaking it during the move.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuoVadis View Post
I was planning on removing the fish and draining it, but do you think the tank will break? I think I can get my strapping brothers to help carry it, so I'm more concerned with breaking it during the move.
if it can handle 150 lbs of water plus your substrate and rocks, it'll handle just the substrate and rocks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I moved my 90 gallon tank by moving all the fish to a Rubbermaid container, and putting a little battery powered air-pump thing in there. For the tank I just drained the water to the substrate and moved the tank with a couple friends and a dolly. Make sure you don't have any rocks stacked that might fall or slide around. I don't think you should have too much trouble with a 20 gallon as long as you have a friend to help. If you have some really tall stems you can pull them out and float them with the fish, this will prevent them from breaking and I think the fish enjoy some surface cover in the stressful situation as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Put something under it, like a thick sheet of plywood.
One of the major problems in moving a tank is twisting it, putting strain on the corners.
By moving it very carefully onto the plywood then carrying the plywood you will minimize that twisting.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
to the plywood suggestion! I would also put a layer of the ultra thin foam they sell in Walmart, etc. for covering pantry shelves - it has a tiny waffle texture. It is made to keep things from slipping, and the tank won't shift on the plywood.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
My husband read about carrying straps online and did end up buying some after we moved the 100 gallon glass and 180 gallon acrylic tanks - empty. Oh well. I mocked up some with rope with loops tied in it for hand holds putting a bit of pvc in the loops to make it more comfortable for hands. Putting such carrying helpers under the tank/plywood in an x pattern so they don't slip out might be one way to go.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
if your going to be buying buckets for transport, dont forget the lids!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode