Humic and fulvic acid - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Humic and fulvic acid

Just bumbling around the internet, and I saw someone claim that fluvic acid is beneficial to shrimp. Some people in the hydroponics hobby use it for plants, too.

On that note, has anyone used either humic acid (leonardite) or fulvic acid additives in their planted tank, or with their shrimpies? Any comments?

Before I fall asleep...

I moss be in love

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Tons of shrimpers use them. There are several specialty products along those lines from companies like BorneoWild/Mosura, as well.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, I saw it on Mosura's website. I was just wondering, because I'm skeptical about what companies say about their products in order to get you to buy them. And I have been REALLY skeptical ever since I found out that Penac W from ADA was just glass powder.

Maybe experiment time? Hehe. I could do plants and shrimps side by side.

I moss be in love

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, humic / fulvic acid is good and beneficial to human, animal and plant. fulvic acid is expensive but better. you can buy some from ebay for testing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
The activities of beneficial soil microbes are crucial for the sustainability of any soil and plant growth. Humic acid stimulates microbial activity by providing the indigenous microbes with a carbon source for food, thus encouraging their growth and activity. Soil microbes are responsible for solubilizing vital nutrients such as phosphorus that can then be absorbed by the humic acid and in turn made available to the plant. Additionally, microbes are responsible for the continued development of humus in the soil as it continues to break down not fully decomposed organic matter. This in-situ production of humus continues to naturally add to the humic acid base and its benefits.

30g or 60g for starting a new tank per Borneo wild suggested dosages.

I purchased mine off amazon but others have bought the same on E-bay. Sold by the ounce or pound.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh excellent, thanks for the information. If that's the case, shouldn't adding mulm to start a tank effectively add a carbon source for food for the new bacterial colony?

I moss be in love

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Using mulm to seed a new tank to add new bacteria is doable but it wouldnt be done primarily to provide a carbon source. there are easier and more consistent ways to do that, like humic.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, now I see. I think I will look into buying a small amount.

I moss be in love

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode