Too much light? Red plants not red? & Green spot Algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much light? Red plants not red? & Green spot Algae

Hello I am having issues with my 55 gallon planted tank... First off I think I have too much light? It's on about 8-10hours. Should I lower my light period?

3x T5HO too much for a 55? Sitting on top of my tank.
I do do ei dosage, and pressurized co2, 3bps drop checker at lime green.
It's pretty heavily planted.. plants look healthy.. the reason I added third T5HO is because I wanted more light distribution, and my glosso was not spreading.. of course I have learn I should trim it more often.

Another thing is I am developing green spot algae on my walls of the tank, along side with some brown stuff that look like diatoms but it has been going on for awhile now. Should i lower my dosing of nitrates?

Also my plants are not red they are all green. healthy but green. Near the top they are turning red. Should this ibe a issue of too much phosphorous? I dose seachem iron, about 10-15ml per week. The only red plant that stays red is red tiger lotus everything else that suppose to go red isn't....

Thanks trying to narrow down the issue here.. I think I might start off with the light??

*edit* I have red pottery clay.. from michaels.. in my substrate but it doesn't seem to help red plants? I see plants rooting to the clay though, when I unroot stuff..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

What all do you dose? I do Flourish, Excel, and Trace, at about 2/3 the suggested amounts, 4x54watt T5HO and CO2. I have a BN pleco, 2 SAEs, the odd amano shrimp, and 5 otos (these are the only ones I really need; the others eat dying plants and special food and the shrimp whatever they can get their little things (hand-grabby-pincher-things) on) as algae eaters, and no trace of algae. Well, a little green spot algae does pop up at times, but it gets overpowered by the A-Team and the trillion vals in the tank. My ludwigia's leaf undersides are deep purple. I don't dose nitrate or phosphate/phosphorus. Those come in the package of fish and plant wast.

Oh, and the tank's a 55, too.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I thought green spot algae was an indicator of not enough phosphate, but if you're dosing according to EI guidelines, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I think you can dose more iron than you are currently. I dose twice that amount on my 29.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I want to eventually start dosing something else the seachem is gonna be costly if I do more dosing then I already do.. is there some sort of IRON dry ferts? Besides iron being in CSM+B....

As far as livestock, I have 1 BN pleco, 2 amanos, 2 sae, 6-7 otos, a nerite snail... And a bunch of other fish..

Ahh I am actually getting confused...

I dose

+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change
and
15ml of seachem iron
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
There are dry iron compounds you can use. Any seller of the NPK and trace salts probably carry them.

EI isn't engraved in stone, it is a starting out place. If you aren't happy with the tank or you think you can make improvements then bump one of the powders or liquids up or down a bit for a week and see what you think. I would start with the phosphate, bump it up half again after you polish the GSA off the glass and see what you think after a week.

I don't happen to dose more iron. I tried it for a week and didn't notice any particular change in any plants or algae so I dropped it. I did increase phosphate dosing and noticed a dramatic decrease in GSA on Anubias and the tank walls. Sold on phosphate, don't happen to see a need for iron. At the moment......... A different tank would have different needs.

Keep notes! If you can take photos too.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianbettas View Post
Hello I am having issues with my 55 gallon planted tank... First off I think I have too much light? It's on about 8-10hours. Should I lower my light period?

3x T5HO too much for a 55? Sitting on top of my tank.
I do do ei dosage, and pressurized co2, 3bps drop checker at lime green.
It's pretty heavily planted.. plants look healthy.. the reason I added third T5HO is because I wanted more light distribution, and my glosso was not spreading.. of course I have learn I should trim it more often.

Another thing is I am developing green spot algae on my walls of the tank, along side with some brown stuff that look like diatoms but it has been going on for awhile now. Should i lower my dosing of nitrates?

Also my plants are not red they are all green. healthy but green. Near the top they are turning red. Should this ibe a issue of too much phosphorous? I dose seachem iron, about 10-15ml per week. The only red plant that stays red is red tiger lotus everything else that suppose to go red isn't....

Thanks trying to narrow down the issue here.. I think I might start off with the light??

*edit* I have red pottery clay.. from michaels.. in my substrate but it doesn't seem to help red plants? I see plants rooting to the clay though, when I unroot stuff..
If you look at the PAR charts in the light section, it seems to me you have very high light. I have a 60g and was running 4 54W t5ho lamps and quickly had all kinds of algae - diatoms, green spot mostly. Many folks in this forum suggested I reduce light and increase c02. I now use only 2 of the 4 bulbs plus I have a screen between the lights and tank. The lights are 4 inches above the tank and are only on for 8 hours. I also have some ricia and now densa floating on to cut it down even more. Long story short, my algae is going away. I still have some and my tank is only 7 weeks old but it is better when i reduced the light and increased co2

*60g
*Substrate = 50% Florite sand 50% regular Florite
*Lighting 108W of a 216W T5HO Aquatic Life hood 25" from substrate 8.5 hours daily.
*Amarath Redroot, Waterhyssop, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Wisteria, Jungle Val, Moss Ball, Riccia, Nana, Java Lace, Cryptocoryne, Pigmy Chain Sword.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

Oh, I forgot to mention, my red plants are red... I dose liquid ferts - all the macros and micros

*60g
*Lighting 108W of a 216W T5HO Aquatic Life hood 25" from substrate 8.5 hours daily.
*Amarath Redroot, Waterhyssop, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Wisteria, Jungle Val, Moss Ball, Riccia, Nana, Java Lace, Cryptocoryne, Pigmy Chain Sword.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I advice you to find out about dry ferts they are waaaaaay cheaper. Like 30 bucks every 2-3 years!(for me)

I have found that GSA in my tank is related to lack of co2. That is my experience.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
I advice you to find out about dry ferts they are waaaaaay cheaper. Like 30 bucks every 2-3 years!(for me)

I have found that GSA in my tank is related to lack of co2. That is my experience.
Yah, I am starting to consider it - just don't know much about them....

*60g
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone...

My new plan is taking out 1 T5HO.
Can't increase my co2 anymore if I do the drop checker becomes yellow.. So I will leave the co2 diffused thru a ceramic diffuser directly under a powerhead. I will also increase the phosphate dosing...

I scrubbed alot of the GSA off the glass... I will update this in a week or two to see if this helps!

One thing at a time :P hehe...
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I took alot of it off but there is still some on the walls...

A Graphic Designer in love with plantedtanks...

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's my tank incase any of you were wondering..

I just trimed and replanted some of the plants.. (the red ones were ones sticking above the waterline lol)

A Graphic Designer in love with plantedtanks...

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with Dmckmc. Depending on the reflector, you may be able to do fine with just one of those lights. Two might give you better light spread, especially if you can suspend them over the tank. Less light is often the key to most algae problems. HTH.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 05:09 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got horrible green spot algae, and I only run 56 watts of t5 normal output on my 75 gallon. Reducing your light may not be the trick
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

Beautiful tank by the way!

*60g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode