Help please! Pop eyed Cory!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Help please! Pop eyed Cory!!

Does anyone know what's wrong with my Cory? Im guessing its pop eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331934643.004789.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	44130  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
It does look like Pop eye to me. Here's some information on treating it that looks like it might help you:
http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles...isease/165.asp

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm I accidentally overdosed excel a few days ago. I don't think it would be a bacterial infection I have been dosing Melafix every so often. I'm thinking it may have been from him diving top to bottom to fast...!? Which is weird but seems the most relatable cause.

+
+
+

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have to admit, I have done this to my fish once, i added tap water with a hose straight to the tank. There was something about the water that made their eyes pop, overnight, 5 fish died from it. Some of their bellies had holes to. Like the bends for fish.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How many fish survived? This is really weird and out of the blue. It has been about 5 days since the ovedrdose. I use a python to change my water. I've had very healthy fish with no issues and gettin fat and happy. That's the thing about tap you never know what's coming out of the other end :/

+
+
+

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Something that was consistent in the link I posted earlier is to ensure very clean water. I'd try doing pretty aggressive water changes to see if it helps alleviate it. If you have a QT tank, maybe move the cory there and dose with Maracyn and Maracyn II also

However, I wouldn't dose Maracyn and Maracyn II in the main tank imo. I dosed it in a hospital tank of mine and it did seem to kill or severely limit the beneficial bacteria colony. Ammonia started spiking at around day 2 or 3 of dosing. The packaging says it won't do this but I'm pretty confident it was the cause

-Josh

Quote:
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well the more I look at it I believe it may have been the pressure cause it lookes like its brains are about to pop out of its head, you can see it if you look close at the pic above

Since, I did accidentally overdose the Excel have been doing a lot of major water changes and wonder if this mayb causing a issue as well. The tank does have pressurized co2...I have baby fry that are still alive in the tank as well as babies, juvies, young adults, and some that are about 3 yrs old. No issues with them.

Im not a big fan of quarantining settled fish unless absolutely necessary because it usually stresses the fish more and I never had a positive return from doing so.

+
+
+

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good points. It is odd when a single fish shows symptoms and others don't - makes things a bit more confusing I think

And agreed on quarantining a settled fish, there's no doubt it adds additional stress to them. I just thought this could be an option if it was believed to be an infection, to keep the other fish safe and ensure dosing won't affect the main tank

I suppose diving top to bottom could cause an issue but hadn't thought about it too much myself honestly. My cories seem to love diving rapidly to the top then back down (20g Tall) and there haven't been any issues yet *knock on wood*

I do hope you have a positive outcome. Keep us updated!

-Josh

Quote:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM
Algae Grower

What size tank do you have I can't image the pressure from going up to the water surface and back down too fast would cause anything that looks like that. I mean WOW my Oto cats do it all the time never have seen any of there eyes like that.

I never needed the "For Dummies" book for my dogs but for a glass box WoW.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's only a 40 breeder so its really weird if that is the issue. Unfortunately he was dead this morning

+
+
+

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode