Feeling Discouraged. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Feeling Discouraged.

What do you do when you feel absolutely lousy about the hobby? My poor CPDs. I just can't keep them alive or happy. They just hide or die.

My shrimplet population is holding steady at least and I love them to bits, although it's making me worry now that I'm going to kill them too.

I guess I'll just have to realize that things happen and hope to rehome these CPDs. I just feel like a fish killing pile of dung. :/ I normally have much better luck with fish. My venture into planted tankness is not going so well...

But I kept angelfish alive really well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
This sort of thing happens to all of us at some point in the hobby. There for a while, I had huge issues keeping guppies and swordtails alive. I seem to have no problems with tetras though. Just keep in there and you will find what works for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
I have the same feeling when I started planted tank and was overtaken by all kinds of algae.

I just run it as it is until my good mood started to kick back again to address the issue.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Owch, yeah. I've been fighting the staghorn and diatoms. >< They just don't quit, do they? But I bought a timer and a fert dosing kit, so we'll get it licked I bet.

I figure I'll take care of my CPDs as I can until I can rehome them or they go to fishy heaven I guess.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm right there with you. I successfully killed all of my otos and all but 1 of my random fish. I am left with corys and amano shrimps. My cause was my own fault, which makes feeling like dung even worse, cause if I hadn't tried to kill my algae, they would all still be alive.

Today I am not feeling any of my tanks, I have even considered breaking some down and selling them and the bettas in them. I don't want to, but I'm that frustrated and disappointed in myself.

I will just keep trucking along I guess, maybe cleaning up a bit will help get back into the excitement I had up until last weekend.

Just remind yourself why you started this in the first place, and don't beat yourself up about it. Things happen, even to the best in the hobby. We have to learn from our mistakes and just keep trying, right? I will heed my own advice as I clean my tank in a few minutes.

I hope that your situation turns around quickly for you!!

Last edited by tlyons01; 03-16-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: misspelling
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I killed maybe 8 otos because I jumped the gun and got them before my dirt tank stabilized. Live and learn and move on

current:

| retired:

|
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh dear. :O Well, I'll do my best. Hopefully I can rehome these lil CPDs before my curse gets to them. My shrimp and C. habrosus seem very happy, so that makes me smile.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
that's when you get more tanks.... simple solution.

FUNction over form

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I made a mistake of changing the substrate in a previous tank and overstocking it shortly after. Somehow, I only lost 1 fish as the tank attempted to cycle (it was one of the new fish and I'm convinced it was sick as another of the new fish had pretty bad fin rot - but it recovered ).

Fortunately, I was working on cycling my current 20g at the time and it became a race between the tanks to see which cycled first. I ended up doing daily 40%+ WC's to keep the old 10g's ammonia somewhat in check (still much higher than I'd like though, despite the water changes). After about 4 days of this this, and a lot of stress hoping they'd be ok, the 20g seemed cycled and the fish have been happy in it since. Daily water tests confim all is well with it

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklikewhoa View Post
Yeah, I have another tank and filter - though the biocube is being cleaned/rehabbed. I'm a little limited on funds and space though. :/ I guess I could scoop the CPDs into the hospital tank until I find them a home.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I know what you mean.
My CPD are dropping like flies. I've bought 8 and only 3 are doing well. Its discouraging.
On top of that I'm having an outbreak of lord knows what in my 5.5 gallon. My cories are spinning like nuts.
My large cories suddenly disappeared one night. Woke up to 5 of them gone. My tanks look terrible and I found a RCS on the floor this morning.
I feel defeated.
What with the CPD's though? Why don't they live?!?!?

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Whenever I'm feeling bad like this, I just look up random fish species on Google images and remind myself that, even if I can't keep one species, there are plenty more that may work for me. (If only I had the money to try them all. *Sigh*)

If that doesn't work, I go on YouTube and look at all the different ways people have set up their aquariums. If I never get the hang of live plants, maybe I could try a cichlid tank or one of those plantless aquascapes or even a saltwater tank. If worst comes to worst, I can always set up a fake-plant tank with some nice beginner fish.

In short- you don't have to quit the hobby just because one species of fish doesn't work for you.

Proud member of
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklikewhoa View Post
Then you turn into those Cat ladies who are unhappy with a house full of urine smelling cats.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have a secret.

I have a really hard time keeping normal tiger shrimp alive. No joke. Most of the time they last two days tops in my tank. Every other shrimp in tank is fine. I'm cursed!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Aw. Well, I guess this just means CPDs weren't meant to be. They're cute but frustrating to find and it's downright depressing to find a corpse or fish chip. >< I'm still working at rehoming them.

Frankly, I figure it's more humane to try to rehome than to keep killing them. :/ I do great with cichlids and gouramis. My bettas do well too. Oh well. Them's the breaks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode