looking to put together a new aquarium setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
looking to put together a new aquarium setup

hey everyone.. i used to own fish in the past, but... its been a long time since i did, and i was looking to get back into it but a little larger, like 25-100 gallons and was looking to go all out with rocks, plants, maybe a diversity of fish... quite possibly a smaller moray (i think eels are awesome)... or id like to go with perhaps some kind of theme.. like using fish that resemble something more prehistoric..

so.. yeah, i was just looking for options for 25, 50, or 100 gallon tanks to see what kind of environment i could get for either one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Moray eels are a marine only species I think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

theres a lot of moray eels, freshwater, saltwater, big, small.. i havent decided yet if i want to go freshwater or saltware, im going to let the species determine that...

a cool freshwater fish i really like, and have a lot of respect for is the northern pike.. but full grown these things are just way too big... but its smaller cousin which looks, acts, and hunts in exactly the same way at a much smaller size is the grass and redfin pickerels...

but, in the end i want a predatory fish, something that will attack and eat feeder fish... once i choose the main fish i want.. i guess i could choose tank-mates that couldnt be eaten, and the flora to go with it

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i should also mention im highly skilled in fabrication with many materials.. so ill probably build my own tank.. acryllic perhaps unless there some kind of problem with that?.. probably reinforced on the edges with angle aluminum epoxy-glued on the outside of the tank, probably a tight lid, T5 fluorescent lighting, adequate filtration system, pump.. the works
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are you able to buy acrylic in sheets large enough to build an aquarium and be cost effective? There's always the ole plywood tank with a front viewing window. Make your on dimensions?!

The only problem is they're kind of.. Ugly.. But you can make them look nice ecf
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i think if i go with a 25, maybe a 50 i could go all acryllic, or atleast on 3 sides.. theres really no point in using acryllic against the wall or on the bottom obviously... but then the tank might be too small for something like the eels, 50 gallon would probably be enough for the game fish

umm... yeah, i could certainly go plywood for the 100 gallon since im really considering designing this as a corner tank with 3 sides...

what is the plywood sealed with to make it water tight?.. epoxy and urethane might have chemicals in them

about them being ugly.. i could plane them down smooth, fill in all pores with wood filler, and paint it on the outside.. or for the inside for a background perhaps i could put a thin sheet of hard plastic over it sandwiching a background image in between, wont even notice a difference
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hey.. i just looked at some plywood tanks for larger aquariums.. i like it, they actually dont look bad to me.. you can paint the inside with a non-toxic waterproof paint, the outside you can stain to match other decorations in your house.. or stain it really dark like a piece of driftwood, and i rarely see people looking through the side or back of a tank anyway.. so this would be perfect, and greatly reduce the costs of the 100 gallon tank

so once decision made, i will build a plywood tank, and with the reduction of costs itll be 50-100 gallons...

im going to need a lot more advice centered around flora for the tank though.. i have no idea what sort of plants people use for tanks this size, and what would be appropriate for the fish species i select...

if i do end up going with the freshwater game fish like the pickerel, perch, etc i would like to go with perhaps a lake scene with lake plants these fish would normally be around, like seaweed, but maybe one that doesnt get too big, or out of control, with quite possibly a sunken log in it as well

if i go marine obviously i want to set it up like the bottom of the sea, MAYBE some coral, definitely a porous rock for the moray to hide in

and my last question... what are some good fish species i could consider, something that may attack smaller meal fish?.. pickerel will, moray will, piranhas i believe are legal here, what else could i consider?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have any fish suggestions, as i dont keep predatory fish, but www.monsterfishkeepers.com is a great resource for building your own tanks. There is a ton of builds over there from wood.

You can make the tanks look nice, it's just most don't. Ha
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Wasserpest's plywood tank is better looking than most glass or acrylic tanks as he did a bang up job integrating it into the room and finishing the cabinet.

Here is a page showing how nice it looks. Read the first part for info on the whats and hows.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...e-tank-11.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
All Moray eels, even those sold as freshwater are at least brackish animals and all of them are born in and return to the sea to breed.. so they can inhabit freshwater for some period, but do not actually live there. A brackish or full saltwater would be much better for them and would determine the rest of your plans.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, looking at some aquarium sources, for a 100 gallon tank theres a suprisingly large variety of morays that would comfortable fit in there.. and be my favorite, so i could build the habitat around one of these, then add compatible fish later and maybe an invertebrates...

would there be a problem with purchasing live minnows from a bait shop, or trapping them out of my river (its quite clean) and using these as feeder fish for marine species? or am i better off finding something else to use as feeders, like shrimp?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Algae Grower

+1 for checking out MFK, are you leaning toward a moray?

Most larger, predatory fish will tear plants up, like oscars, cats, etc.

There are true freshwater eels: tiretrack, and fire. I've never kept them, but their info does say they will eat smaller fish, not sure how often though.

Trapping feeders out of the river is frowned upon because you never know if they have a parasite or disease. I normally fed my Oscar live minnows as an every now and again treat. I caught them from my pond. But over the course of having him, I probably did this maybe 6 times (over 3 years). You can also buy "feeder goldfish" from most pet stores at 10/$2.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm.. feeder goldfish would work.. and i would like to get a moray.. but, i think for the sake of keeping it simple im actually leaning more towards freshwater... and the leading contenders for the primary fish right now as the grass pickerel or a small cluster of piranha.. i believe theyre legal where im at, they cant survive in the waters here....

but... i think at this point im leaning towards the pickerel, perch, maybe bass, crappie.. since i do enjoy game fishing (catch and release, dont even use barbed hooks)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower

Again, DEFINITELY check out monsterfishkeepers.com - those guys are all about big, predatory fish. Search for some tanks with the sort of fish you're looking for. I've seen bass setups with some hardy plants (I think), but check them out!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i was at the website earlier, but havent signed up yet... ive been doing research on the species of fish that interest me, the size of tank they need, how well they get along with others, feeding, etc... but ill sign up for that other forum tomorrw... but ill probably end up stepping on the toes of the snakehead owners rather quickly, since i cant stand invasive species that destroys everything else in the ecosystem

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode