Mounting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Mounting?

Hey guys,

This Sunday I'm going to build an ada style stand for a 20L and I'm curious what you use to mount equipment in your stands (loose wires, external heaters, reactors, sterilizers, etc.)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No one wants to share their secrets?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I found this DIY for an ADA style light mount.

http://www.carolinafishtalk.com/foru...ing-stand.html

There are other similar ideas in the DIY section here, I just happen to have this one bookmarked

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just use power strips which all have mounting slots on the backs, mount them up out of view, zip tie all cable very neatly and plug it all in. Pretty simple to use screws and zip ties. Look in the zip tie section at lowes and there are also little things used to mount zip ties to any surface and they work well too. I don't remember their real name but I do know that they have a rather inappropriate common name..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I put my power strips and ballasts on pieces of wood then hung the boards from hooks. That way I can take the strip or ballasts down, work on whatever and put it back very easily. I looped the extra cables behind the boards and it all looks much better than before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some good ideas guys thank you

I was thinking while working my shift, for the reactors maybe getting some slip rings that would be attached to the back wall. But the problem with reactors is when priming the system they need to be turned upside down to release excess air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Slick View Post
I just use power strips which all have mounting slots on the backs, mount them up out of view, zip tie all cable very neatly and plug it all in. Pretty simple to use screws and zip ties. Look in the zip tie section at lowes and there are also little things used to mount zip ties to any surface and they work well too. I don't remember their real name but I do know that they have a rather inappropriate common name..
Mounting slots that you made? Or store bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I put my power strips and ballasts on pieces of wood then hung the boards from hooks. That way I can take the strip or ballasts down, work on whatever and put it back very easily. I looped the extra cables behind the boards and it all looks much better than before.
How did you attach the strips to the wood?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Power strips have keyhole slots to fit over screws on the back at least all three of mine do. I made a template from paper to place the screw holes on the wood and since it was all at a good angle because I wasn't working inside the stand it went together just fine. Use a big enough hook and eye and the wood strip was easy enough to attach to the stand wall.

What about using a velcro loop for the reactor?

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
One idea I have often when thinking about building my own stand in the future is mounting power strips and what not, to one side of the inside of the stand. Using electrical tacking staples to route the wires neatly (can find at home depot/lowes in various sizes) outside of the back of the stand and using guitar cable velcro straps to hold together all the extra wire behind the stand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode