Easiest way to make a black background? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Easiest way to make a black background?

I'm looking at putting a black background on my 30 gal. I used to have a black paper background on it but I was never satisfied with the result. When it started to peel off anyways, I just removed it. I have thought about black paint, but idk what the best thing to use is. The main thing i didn't like about the paper background was the bubbles that got caught under it no matter how hard i tried to smooth them out. This is why I'm thinking about trying paint. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I used 5% window tint. It is removable. You do need a little skill but, it can be put on with out bubbles.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Black krylon paint

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
I'm looking at putting a black background on my 30 gal. I used to have a black paper background on it but I was never satisfied with the result. When it started to peel off anyways, I just removed it. I have thought about black paint, but idk what the best thing to use is. The main thing i didn't like about the paper background was the bubbles that got caught under it no matter how hard i tried to smooth them out. This is why I'm thinking about trying paint. Any suggestions?
Krylon fusion flat black works really good

Retired Mr. Aqua 17.4 Gal.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Black krylon paint
beat me to it haha

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My issue is that the tank is already fully set up. Is this something I can do with the tank already established?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
My issue is that the tank is already fully set up. Is this something I can do with the tank already established?
oh never mind then thats prob not a good idea Id say just double sided tape and black paper then

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

is there a paint that's not a spray that I could use a roller to apply?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I've so used krylon fusion black paint.
It's as easy as spraying it on
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
As long as you can work behind the tank, you can use window film. However, it won't be easy without some room to work.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
As long as you can work behind the tank, you can use window film. However, it won't be easy without some room to work.
I can move the tank out from the wall if i remove a good bit of water from it during a water change. That would give me some room to work. How exactly do you apply it?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I once painted a 75 gallon tank that was inches from the wall. I used a corn dog roller and flat black paint,(also painted another with flat blue) using pints of random indoor house paints. Make sure glass is spotless prior to paint, even use a bit of vinegar. Two coats and mine turned out great.

If you peer into the glass, and look real close, you can see my soul!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Window Tint

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
I can move the tank out from the wall if i remove a good bit of water from it during a water change. That would give me some room to work. How exactly do you apply it?
Cut a piece to fit. Get some slightly soapy water - a bucket of water with a small squirt of dish detergent in it. Use a sponge to wet the back of the tank. Place the film against the back, sliding it around until it is in the right spot, then use a squeegee, like window washers use, to press the film to the glass, get the air bubbles and excess water out. Wipe off the excess water, and it is ready to use. I find it pretty easy to do, and it takes about of foot of clearance behind the tank for me to do it.

Hoppy
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use a 1/16" thick black acrylic sheet behind the tank. It's not glued to the tank, just leaning against it. At that thickness, it costs less than $5 per square foot.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode