How do you defend the hobby? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
How do you defend the hobby?

It seems that we are not just dealing with algae, planaria and the regular inside the tank pests... Sometimes we get into it with our partners, landlords, family, etc.... People that have no clue what it takes or what it really is to be an aquarist.

Please explain how do you react when people attack your hobby. Please share some stories and pictures of the victim.

Let's se this as inspiration to do the "Jedi" trick on'em(you WILL stop bugging me) wave our hand in front of'em and change their minds.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk
I have never had to really defend it but if i did i would tell them, It's what makes me happy.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I haven't had to really deal with this, but there are two ways to look at it.

Keeping fish, shrimp, and other aquatic animals in general... they are pets. Living creatures. Someone else may consider their lives to be less valuable than other pets, but they are still live animals under our care. We bought them because we like them and they bring us joy.

Tending to planted tanks... I can't think of anyone attacking a gardener for enjoy gardening as a hobby. It's the same thing, just different plants that thrive under water instead of outside.

And then there's the whole idea of mine that I never have to defend things that I love to do. If it brings me happiness and isn't hurting anyone else, then no one has the right to attack it.

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcartwright856 View Post
If it brings me happiness and isn't hurting anyone else, then no one has the right to attack it.
Exactly
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Bright colors, personable fish, lush aquascapes, crystal clear water... Defending the hobby itself shouldn't be too difficult. Defending the addict-like need for more and more tanks is a little harder.

I think non-aquarists only have a problem with the hobby when we aquarists put more time/money/effort into our tanks than into the things we should be doing. If you can't pay your rent, but you have $500+ invested in your tank, it's understandable that your landlord would think your tank needs to go.

The best "Jedi mind trick" (AKA long-term solution) for this would be to create a low-cost, low-maintenance system that only requires a daily feeding, an occasional trim, and few recurring costs to keep it sparkling clean and healthy. Being an aquarist doesn't have to be a lifestyle anymore than being a golfer has to be a lifestyle.

Proud member of
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
Bright colors, personable fish, lush aquascapes, crystal clear water... Defending the hobby itself shouldn't be too difficult. Defending the addict-like need for more and more tanks is a little harder.

I think non-aquarists only have a problem with the hobby when we aquarists put more time/money/effort into our tanks than into the things we should be doing. If you can't pay your rent, but you have $500+ invested in your tank, it's understandable that your landlord would think your tank needs to go.

The best "Jedi mind trick" (AKA long-term solution) for this would be to create a low-cost, low-maintenance system that only requires a daily feeding, an occasional trim, and few recurring costs to keep it sparkling clean and healthy. Being an aquarist doesn't have to be a lifestyle anymore than being a golfer has to be a lifestyle.
This may be one of the most succinct and accurate dissertations on this question I've ever read.

I've been in the hobby for 45 years, with just a couple of short breaks. I can't say I've ever had to justify the hobby to anyone other than my wife. The "justification" became difficult when I changed over to Saltwater about 10 years ago. Even I succumbed to the reality that what I was trying to accomplish no longer fit my circumstances in life, so I'm back to the FW side almost entirely now.

As Fishly states so accuratley, the only time you really need to "defend" the hobby is when it no lomger matches your circumstances in life. In my case I couldn't even defend it to myself, so here I am having come full circle.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've never had to defend my hobby, but I am still amazed at most people's indifference. I have tanks at home and my office, and only receive an occasional glance! I would love people show any interest! (Even a negative one!)
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Unless your not living up to your responsibilities you should NEVER have to justify something you choose to do.

post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoslord View Post
Unless your not living up to your responsibilities you should NEVER have to justify something you choose to do.
This^
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Planted Member

I agree with everything that's been said. If you have the disposable income and the means to take care of it no one has the right to judge or criticize anything you do.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
It seems that we are not just dealing with algae, planaria and the regular inside the tank pests... Sometimes we get into it with our partners, landlords, family, etc.... People that have no clue what it takes or what it really is to be an aquarist.

Please explain how do you react when people attack your hobby. Please share some stories and pictures of the victim.

Let's se this as inspiration to do the "Jedi" trick on'em(you WILL stop bugging me) wave our hand in front of'em and change their minds.

Thanks!
pejerrey I know what you mean I had to defend my hobby with my husband because he would only let me set up a few tanks in the beginning. But as time goes on and you show this hobby as an OUTLET that makes you happy the people close to you will come around to realize how much it means to you.We as humans sometimes fall into the same routine day to day~~get up~~go to work~~come home~~eat dinner~~watch tv/computer~~go to bed~~get up and do it all over again. We all need another OUTLET that makes us mentally and emotionally stimulated. Try to get the people close to you involved in you're hobby with you. The "Jedi" trick on'em is the no argument and have patience technique so they won't get mad and hopefully come around to except your hobby. Now for me this has worked because he is letting me turn a spare room into a fishroom (plus the fact I told him I can breed and sell fish to pay the electric bill) you may have to sugar coat it at times.Good luck! Sorry no good pics yet!

Sandy

Check out my blog at~~

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Great, those are very helpful hints and stories! Lucky me that as mentioned before I have never been irresponsible therefore it's just been a "wet Zen Garden" when I have had to explain it to people that question it because of what they imagine it takes. I think depends of our cultural background if we have nosy people that is just gonna criticize what you do with a smurk in their face. Never had my wife complaint. but I hear and read its kind of a common thing. Maybe once I had to explain why multiple small tanks instead of one big one.

If things get can of argumentative I would say:

I pay the utilities and I work on the tanks, the rest of you can watch and enjoy without knocking the glass, its my canvas.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
I say to my wife, "would you rather me start drinking, doing drugs and staying out all night?". Usually that shuts her up real quick.

To anyone else, I just ask them what they do for a hobby. What ever they say, I tell them "that's stupid". Then they start defending their hobby, lol.

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, my other hobby is Tarantulas, so the fish are easy for people to accept.

All in all, I agree whole heartedly with Fishly and Chaoslord. As long as your hobby isn't intruding on the more important aspects of life, then there is no reason for anybody to take issue with them.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've never had to defend my hobby, explain is more like it. People just don't understand aquatic gardening. LOL. I had the whole "too many tanks" thing with my spouse, but he has "too" many cars. haha Now he has his own fish. LOL

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode