Standpipe Size in overflow? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Standpipe Size in overflow?

The standpipe that came with my overflow are both 1.50, but I installed new ones, to help with the sound that are 1.25 now. Is that going to be OK?

I can switch back and make the changes easy to the 1.50, but finding it difficult to find Strainers for the 1.50.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe. It depends on how much water you want to push through the stand pipe.

For a 1 1/2 inch pipe, the cross sectional area is about 1.77 sq inches (((1.5 / 2) ^ 2) * 3.14)

For a 1 1/4 inch pipe, the cross sectional area is about 1.24 sq inches (((1.25 / 2) ^ 2) * 3.14)

So you will loose some flow if you want to run it all out. However, if you keep the flow moderate, you shouldn't have any issues.

PS - Happy pi day.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You are getting a gurgling sound? There are several setups to fix this issue but I don't think changing your pipe size is a good way to get there. Do a search for the Herbie standpipe system. That is what I did and it is super quiet. There are some videos on YouTube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Agree, the Herbie would be perfect for you. One standpipe needs to be shorter than the other and put a valve on its drain so it runs full. The taller one is for emergency use and will gurgle when water goes through so you know to see what the problem is. Very simple and logical system.

It is quiet because no air gets pulled in which means no bubble in the sump which means no turbulence so less CO2 is lost!

Use a sponge prefilter instead of a strainer, no problem getting one on any pipe with a bit of trimming. They quiet the overflow pretty well too.

For right now experiment with an airline down the drain. Move it up and down until you hit the sweet spot. Not as good as the Herbie but better than nothing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i must say i prefer the c02 loss.. it means more oxygen in the water. u can always add more c02

i use the airline method. my strainer came drilled with a silence tube
i raised the strainer 2 inches to remove splash in the overflow and adjust the tube when necessary.

sits quite. no gurgles and if there is a problem. the overflow starts to fill up and covers the silence tube starting a full siphon. strainger is also protected by a prefilter

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Google "Durso standpipe"--I have a 2" Durso standpipe in my 220 and it is whisper quiet.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I liked the Durso too. Very simple to make, I didn't even glue it together.

The Herbie is even quieter though.

Either one is much better than my old method of turning on the pump after a water change and fussing with the airline placement until it was as quiet as it was going to get.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks all for the advise, I do have the Durso standpipe, I switched from the 1.50 drain to the Durso standpipe, but only could get 1.25 for size. It not very loud, I still get the waterfall though from water going over my overflow to the overflow box. Anyway to get rid of that sound?

Thanks

My main concern was the size of pipe was smaller compared to what came with my overflows, they are marineland
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I only get that sound now if the Utube is sucking bubbles through and it does that because the skimmer teeth have debris on them. Doesn't apply to your case! Or could it? Any debris on the teeth?

I don't know if Herbies always raise the water level in the overflow but it should reduce the noise if the drop between tank and overflow is shorter.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dont forget the maggie mufflers!!!!

I retail these and people seem to love them.

post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Durso standpipe, really making less sound that using the standard pipe that came with the overflows.

Problems I am having and not sure how to resolve.
1. Waterfall - from tank to overflow, the water in overflow is about 2 inches less in overflow, so it loud, and I think also causing fair amount of CO2 loss.

2. In my sump, in the drain section of have a ton of bubbles, any idea what causing these and how to get rid of them? It really loud and annoying.

Thanks
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I don't know if Herbies always raise the water level in the overflow but it should reduce the noise if the drop between tank and overflow is shorter.
Yes it does, which in no biggie, but the thing I don't like about the Herbie is that small floating debris will float and float and float in the overflow and most likely eventually sink into the bottom of the overflow. But on the positive side they are completely silent, especially when in my case I have the drain pipe submerged in the sump.

post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Durso standpipe, really making less sound that using the standard pipe that came with the overflows.

Problems I am having and not sure how to resolve.
1. Waterfall - from tank to overflow, the water in overflow is about 2 inches less in overflow, so it loud, and I think also causing fair amount of CO2 loss.
You can raise the standpipe to lessen the fall, but 2 inches sure isn't much of a fall to make a lot of noise unless you're getting a tremendous amount of water turnover.

The Herbie will help with the Co2 loss, or so the "experts" say.

post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
You can raise the standpipe to lessen the fall, but 2 inches sure isn't much of a fall to make a lot of noise unless you're getting a tremendous amount of water turnover.

The Herbie will help with the Co2 loss, or so the "experts" say.
No room to raise the standpipe, it just below the glass cover in my tank, I would have to remove the glass to raise it, which is not an option, as my light is open, which would cause problems.

I can deal with the noise, though using standard standpipe that came with overflow did not cause as many problems, such as waterfall, it was almost even, and now the bubbles in my sump. That move annoying than anything.

Thanks
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This is the standpipe that came with the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	44214  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode