post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish ideas?

So I just started putting fish in my 46 gallon bowfront. So far I have 10:

10 Harlequin rasboras
6 Orange Von rios
6 Cory julii

As part of the deal allowing me to keep this in our living room, I told my girlfriend she can pick out some fish. She really wants to get some that have a blue color in them, and I was thinking of showing her some dwarf gouramis. The problem with this is that I eventually want to get some red cherry shrimp, and everything I've seen says not to mix the two. Does anyone have any other suggestions for fish that have blue color in them? Or just any other fish you think would go well with the other ones I have? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
there are several breeds of guppies that are blue. any fish will eat baby shrimp, but if your tank is planted and you feed well, the guppies should leave the shrimp alone for the most part, you only lose one baby here and there to a female guppy (the females are ALWAYS eating).

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM
s_s
Algae Grower

electric blue rams?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_s View Post
electric blue rams?
I would love to get some rams, but my ph is too high. I've also grown to love the Cory's and would not want to give them any bully's on the bottom of the tank. Plus I feel like rams would annihilate any red cherry shrimp I try and put in there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rams don't care any more about pH than any other fish unless breeding is a concern, and would not bother the corys, but still, it will make even shorter work of shrimp than the gouramis.

I'm racking my brain and it would seem peaceful blue tropicals are few. neons and cardinals have blue, though I don't know how many midwater schoolers you would want to shove in there.

The only other fish I can think of would be a betta, since they are tailored to come in just about every colour including blue. One male would work just fine in your setup, or even several females might be a neat idea.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
My daughter's dwarf gourami never messed with the shrimp. However, we have had bad luck with them getting sick and hear it's difficult to find healthy ones.

~June
2500g koi pond, 56g community tank, 29g community tank
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignOfFred View Post
Rams don't care any more about pH than any other fish unless breeding is a concern, and would not bother the corys, but still, it will make even shorter work of shrimp than the gouramis.

I'm racking my brain and it would seem peaceful blue tropicals are few. neons and cardinals have blue, though I don't know how many midwater schoolers you would want to shove in there.

The only other fish I can think of would be a betta, since they are tailored to come in just about every colour including blue. One male would work just fine in your setup, or even several females might be a neat idea.
I have always read that blue rams need a ph of about 6 or 6.5, but if that is only for breeding purposes then those may be an option since I'm not looking to breed. I may have to just give up on the shrimp idea if I'm to find a blue fish. I saw some blue tetras at the store but those didn't really appeal to me that much.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

Neon tetras... and rainbow fish
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I know neon and cardinal tetras, trying to avoid to many midwater schoolers though. A Betta would be an interesting idea, I've never really even thought about them in a community set up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

BLUE PLATY..from aquariumfish.net

A young male Blue Spotted Platy - these platys seem to have a white background with lots of black specs and blue spots.
A young female Blue Platy, whose stomach is bulging with babies. many females Platys are grey or tan, which you can see on this female, but most of our female Platys also have some color like the metallic scales on this female.
This is also a female Blue Platy but this female has the Mickey Mouse marks on the base of her tail. This female is metallic blue with a much darker blue spot at the base of her tale with two smaller dark spots that complete Mickey Mouse's silhouette.

BLUE AXLERODI

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
German Blue Ram for sure, i just added one and love it...colors are awesome
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Toss the on to the table to sweet the "deal" with your GF. Make a list of blue fish that won't eat your Harlequin rasboras & Orange Von rios and trash your plants and tell her pick what ever she likes from the list.

AFTER she get's "HER" fish. Tell her how you need to set up a nano for the shrimp you want. Your Ace in the hole is I was going to put them in the 46 but YOUR blue (____) will eat them.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Algae Grower

right now i got 5 danios and 3 guppies and three frogs and 1 algae eater can i add more in a 20 gal fish tank? if so what?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode