Rescape with fish in tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Rescape with fish in tank?

I'm considering doing a complete rescape to my 40B. The only thing I wont be changing if I do it is the substrate. The tank is fully stocked and I'm not sure what I would do with the fish. Should I leave them in or try to catch them all and keep them somewhere while I redo the scape?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've done it both ways, and I think I prefer to catch them and put them in a bucket while I rescape.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since you are rescaping, may as well take everything out, put the fish in bucket, and start over with a peace of mind. When I rescaped I also took them out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:54 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I take them out if doing a full rescape. There is way too much muck that gets pulled up when up rooting all the plants. Last full re scape i did, I pulled the fish (otos, cardinals, and endlers), and left the ghost shrimp. All fish lived but several shrimp were dead the next day.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the responses. I guess pulling the fish is the way to go. I'll probably chicken out and not do the rescape anyways, but I wanted to know what to do for the day I get the urge and start ripping everything up, lol.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
i did a full rescape the day before yesterday. i left all of my aquatic life in the tank, shrimp and fish.

i stirred up alot of sand trying to clean it. i only had on casualty, but it was my bamboo shrimp, idk if i had an ammonia spike or what, but something about stirring up all that sand killed it :-(
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 40g that I am rescaping soon. Have just moved fish into their temporary tank. Rescaping with fish is just too difficult. BTW, I checked out your beautiful current scape. It's great! What type of rocks are you using with the white stripes? They look great.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Kurious! I'm not sure what the rocks are called, but I got them from thedriftwoodstore.com

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Planted Member

Toss em in a bucket with a sponge filter imo, gives you a bit of time to get everything the way you want it without worrying about the fish. Or if you have a lot/big fish then 2 buckets.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode