question about tank damage & still using it. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
question about tank damage & still using it.

I have a question about damage to a tank, and what is cosmetic & what is potentially dangerous.
These areas are on the 125g I just bought off a coworker. I was able to start cleaning it today and found two things. The first is a chip in the exterior glass - to my novice eye, it looks cosmetic. I took two pics - one shows a light vertical sliver = that's the depth of the chip. The wide band of dark to the left of it is the thickness of the glass, then you can see the silicone through the side glass. The second pic shows my finger pointing to the chip so you can see how wide it it. It's on the front (or back) of the tank - a piece of glass 72" x 22". The clear speckles on the silicone are droplets of water as I was cleaning...

The second thing worries me, I hope I'm just being a worry-wort! It's bits of missing silicone. My fingers are pointing to them, they are in the lower part of the front (or back!) right-hand side. It's the area I'd call a flange - where the bead flares outs when smoothed. The corner looks ok.
oops! Forgot to upload the silicone pic - it'll be up in a second!

What do you think?
This tank was full & running right up until the day before I got it - my coworker told me he's had the tank 6 years (but he told my friend when I was outside that he's had it 10 years - lol).

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I would say neither of those things are worth to worry about. Doesn't look like the chip would affect the structure, nor does the silicone film that spreads out from the corners add much to the integrity of the bond.

Placing that tank on an absolutely flat and flex-free surface is much more important IMO.

Of course, nobody can tell how long a particular tank will last. It might burst a seam next week, or last another 53 years.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

also need help choosing driftwood...

So, I have lots of driftwood. I have 4 big pieces that are twisty/tunnel-like. I have tons of knobby bent & curved branches of various thicknesses - I'm saving most of them for furniture making. However I may use one or two in the tank to "lead" from one big piece to another.
Anyhow, I stuck my 3 favorite pieces in the tank to see how they fit (and so I don't keep tripping over them). Tell me what you'd use & why! I'll tell you what I like & why - lol.
Here's a shot of all of them in the tank. Mind you, it's bare bottom so they aren't elevated/positioned. They are all between 26" and 30" long, I have them in there zigzag, so they'd fit.

here's one favorite, I like the multiple arches and the embedded stone.

The middle one I only like for the big opening.

The last one I like because it looks like a dinosaur skull - lol. The tubular ends that would be seen from the side are hollow for about 7 - 8".

I'd definitely like to use the two on the ends. Would all 3 be overkill? Should I get rid of the middle one & use a thick branch or two, to make a connection - I don't want two same-size separate chunks of wood by themselves - it would be too static.
Give me ideas to think about, it will be a few months before I get this tank set up!
PS - I should add that the tank will hold small fish, schools of Buenos Aires tetras, neons, that sort of thing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, Wasserpest, I felt they were cosmetic, but I wanted to throw it out there.
It will be a month or two before a get the tank set up - I'm redoing the floors in my living room, and I'm having the underneath of the home reinforced before I fill it. It's like an engineering project! lol

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had worse damage on my *new* tank. You must use the dinosaur. I love the parallel lines on it. This is one of my favourite tanks, mostly because of the parallel lines sticking out at an angle.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

sick lid, that's a beautiful tank - you're right, those diagonal lines really make it!
I could prop the "jaw" on a rock to angle it up, giving me diagonal movement...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Actually, I plan on making a Hamburg Mattenfilter for this tank, and I could keep the dino off to the side, angled up, and move the one with the embedded rock closer, tying it all together with a curved branch or two. That would give me room for the filter at the other end, and I could use the middle dw in a 55g tank later on...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This was the funnest part for me, once I actually got the tank and could see the possibilities (and I never use bouncing smileys)

180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

lol - we'll have to get you used to using more bouncies... : )
I love to sit & look at the empty tank - in the back of my head I know I'll probably be moving fish from at least one other tank into it, but for now anything's possible. Friends are pointing out to me that it would be a great reef tank - sure, if they give me oodles of $$ and inject me with discipline! Another friend that's crazy for African cichlids is trying to convince me to go in that direction. Since I never expected this size tank, I'm going to ponder my options a bit...good thing the floor won't be ready soon - I tend to rush into things then think of something I'd like better, later!
I see your 180 has Congo tetras in it - I love that fish! I've only ever seen one in person - no one around here ever gets them in.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't see them often either, at least not the males. Just picked up 3 more last week, 2 males and a female, along with a long fin and reg bushy nose plec, and another handful of plants. I figure if I keep my common plec fed well enough, these plants might have a chance. He has eaten most of my tasty plants. But yeah, the congos are beautiful under the right light. If I could have a do-over though, I'd still go with a huge school or 2 of something small, along with a bunch of little plecs, otos and cories. Love the sterbai.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I would use the dino skull. It has hollows for 7-8 inches? How about cave spawning Apistos? With a 125 you could likely do several types of dwarf cichlids, maybe some angles, and of course 40-50 schooling tetras. Yeah, I like South Americans. A nice Tang tank would be good also.........
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Funny thing about driftwood.... I had a driftwood stump sitting at the end of my driveway that moved to 3 different houses with me, because I thought it was the most awesome piece I had ever seen, and that one day I would have a tank big enough for this perfect piece. Well, unfortunately, you can't even see it because it's covered in plants, lol. ps, it's just to the left of center in my sig journal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode