Anyone have experience with mudskippers? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Anyone have experience with mudskippers?

I love the way mudskippers look and would someday like to get some. It would be really cool to get a brackish water aquarium type thing with mudskippers and archer fish. However, I am waaaay off from getting a new aquarium but I'd like to know what these are all about so maybe someday I can get some of these. So what are good species to own, and the more interesting or colorful ones? What do you have experience with? Can you breed them?

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My local LFS has them on display. You would have to have quite the set up to combine archers with mudskippers as their requirements are just about as complete opposite as you can get. Apparently, they literally need a muddy set up that is more like a terrarium than it is an aquarium.....neat little guys though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I saw a journal of someone here who keeps them and it was a terrarium of sorts so they could go from pool to pool. I bet a quick search would yield something...

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
@Rroginela:
Mudskipper and archerfish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUc1RdNt6Q0
Mudskipper: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-solution.html

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Mudskippers have been on my "someday" list for years. From all I've read it seems they hardly ever use the water, so their ideal set up is really more a riparium than aquarium.

This is a link to a guy who has simulated tides and filled a tank with stinky ooze in an effort to spawn them. It seems he's making progress.

http://www.thereefuge.com/board/thre...skippers.1744/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrongher View Post
Mudskippers have been on my "someday" list for years. From all I've read it seems they hardly ever use the water, so their ideal set up is really more a riparium than aquarium.

This is a link to a guy who has simulated tides and filled a tank with stinky ooze in an effort to spawn them. It seems he's making progress.

http://www.thereefuge.com/board/thre...skippers.1744/
That is really an amazing thread! The guy managed to breed mudskippers (which apparently is extremely rare, if not unheard of).

My only objection to getting some mudskippers is needing such a large tank, then only being able to put a couple fish in it...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Mud skippers don't actually need mud. Treat them like brackish water turtles. Aquarium fish international just had an article on it.

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
I like the first one! That's close to what I would like to do.

FisheriesOmen- I personally would actually like to use mud because it looks natural and doesnt make the water as cloudy as you think. Breeding is my priority with most of my fish though so I'd probably either go hardcore and try to breed them or not get them at all. But they're still amazing fish.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proaudio55 View Post
That is really an amazing thread! The guy managed to breed mudskippers (which apparently is extremely rare, if not unheard of).
I think it is actually undone so far, but I'm not aware of any people who have gone to the effort of duplicating their environment to try. This guy got burrow digging and guarding, and probably spawning and all he needed was mud, and a sump with a timer, so it might be that it isn't difficult, just a bit of a pain. Of course, we have to wait and see if he raises any fry. Still, I think it's very exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proaudio55 View Post
My only objection to getting some mudskippers is needing such a large tank, then only being able to put a couple fish in it...
I think keeping a mudskipper tank should be thought of like a herp enclosure, not a fish tank. If you pretend they're lizards it doesn't seem so weird to have a species only tank with so little water.

You can also get smaller skippers (I think it's the indian ones who top out at 3-4") and then in a giant tank you'll still have enough room for some smaller brackish fish.

One more link. This is a beautiful, expensive set up, that also includes a step by step. Not for breeding, but definitely can house more than just mudskippers.
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22573

Last edited by MrBrongher; 03-12-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added 1 more link
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
It would be really cool to get a brackish water aquarium type thing with mudskippers and archer fish. So what are good species to own, and the more interesting or colorful ones? What do you have experience with? Can you breed them?

Good to see you take it as self-evident that there are different kinds of mudskippers.
I've kept three kinds and found out they differ quite a lot from each other.

Too many years ago I had four specimens of a small (4 inches) species of an undefined (Indian?) mudskipper species.
Another species I've kept is Periophthalmus barbarus known as Atlantic mudskipper. I had just one of these.
The third species and the one I know best is the one I'm keeping as we speak, Periophthalmodon septemradiatus.

Now the smallest species I had was an easy fish to keep in a small group. They were not overly aggressive among each other.

P. barbatus on the other hand has a reputation of potentially killing each other if kept in the same tank. The male I had surely was able to take care of itself

It grew up to almost ten inches (25 cm).

The ones I have in a tank at the moment are temperamentwise somewhere in between the ones mentioned above. They (males) establish territories and defend them from each other, but the fighting is not serious enough to do any damage. So far, at least (had them for a few years now).

All of the species I've kept are equally interesting, I think. Given the tank they thrive in and kept in a group suitable for the tank they all make very good inhabitants.

Coloration differs a little, males being more colorful. Dorsal fins are the most stunning character of mudskippers, but all in all they can't compete with many other ornamental fish, colorwise.
Females are duller in color and smaller in size.
In choosing the species I would consentrate on fitting them in the tank rather than appearence. That being said, the male barbatus was the most colorful of the mudskippers I've had.

Archers differ in size quite a bit as well. The largest archer I've had grew up to about 11 inches (27 cm). So choosing which species to get is important with archers as well.
They are all active swimmers and thrive best when given enough space in the tank.

Combining archers and mudskippers is possible, I'm sure. I would start planning the container with a combination of a large water part and a wide lateral "dry" area.
To my experience mudskippers prefer spending time in shallow pools, bellies wet but eyes above water. Providing a set of separate pools gives an opportunity to keep several skippers in one tank. Even better, if the pools can be restricted from sight of each other.
A traditional "mudflat"-style tank with a sloping profile houses one skipper, or perhaps a pair of some of the smallest species. For more fish the mudflat would have to be huge, I think.

As for breeding, I'm sure it can be done with any given species.
I'm equally sure they don't all breed the same way. This I can tell by knowing a skipper has bred in a tank with no mudflat, tidal arrangement or dug channels, but with a lot of driftwood instead.

Hope some of this babble feeds your inspiration.

"There is no name for what I'm going to be when I get big."
-Tom Robbins

Earth. I think we can make a buck on it so let's destroy it.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
^ VERY cool! They look like they have a heck of a personality to them

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Algae Grower

Nom!

"If you can single-handedly manage to kill a common pet store Betta fish, then that's when you know you've accomplished something great," said by my Dad as of 4/30/11

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode