How do YOU keep YOUR records? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do YOU keep YOUR records?

I've been bouncing around the forums a little lot lately and constantly hear people talk about keeping records/journals/logs about their tanks. So the questions is:

How do YOU keep YOUR records?

Would love to hear about the very basic or super extreme! Feel free to discuss below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I don't really keep records but I do have tank logs so I post up stuff there to keep a loose record of what's going on in my tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I personally keep my records (dates, water parameters, water changes, chemicals added, etc.) on a piece of paper in my tank stand. Pretty archaic but it works for me!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Google Docs.

I have a form created for each tank that I can easily access via iPhone or iPad to update with notes and numbers.

I at first thought I was being too extreme by taking five minutes to set up a document but a year later, I'm loving it. Easy to spot trends and such.

Find the best "record" of my tanks, though, is this very forum. Not just the specialized pTracker (is that what it's called?) but my tank journals. They really allow you to journal your thoughts and experiences along with photographs with feedback from others.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep a little spiral bound note book that I picked up at a grocery store. It's nothing fancy but it let's me keep track of what happened and when. I don't get every single event recorded, but I get most of them. After my Ph crashed I also put a bubbler in there at full blast, but I forgot to jot that down. I didn't plan on posting my notes, EVER!

IMHO the more work it is to keep up your record keeping, the less likely you are to keep doing it. I like a notebook because I don't have to screw around with the computer, phone, internet, websites, nothing . . . It's a just a little book that lives in the Tupperware container full of testing kits. Very easy!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...569_log_1c.jpg

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...9570_log2c.jpg
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use a spiral notebook also. It sits under the tank & is always handy.

Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I don't keep records.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
+1. I record everything in my brain.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I lost my notebook with a marbled paper cover I made and sewed together and all the notes from the first big tank. Still hoping I can find it someday.

I write short notes to myself on email and keep them in a folder. Haven't lost that yet.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I use an excel sheet that I periodically back up onto my flash drive where I keep my AutoCAD stuff.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
i record all water parameters, WC and what not on a calendar that habgs next to my tank

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't keep records. I don't test regularily either. Unless something is going amiss I dot see any reason to
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
If you keep sensitive shrimp, as many do, it's a necessity to test at least during water changes and such. Unless they're cherries and I couldn't tell you the last time I tested cherry-only tanks.

Even if you're not testing water parameters, sometimes it's nice to look back over a year to read your thoughts on a tank or to see what you added/removed/changed/saw. At least for me, that's part of the nerdy fun.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I kept a log when I did my first cycle, but once it was done and I understood the process I threw it away and haven't kept any records since.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I kept records for the first few years and then I never found a use for them so I dont anymore.

My 65g jungle October rain

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode