Mopani wood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Mopani wood?

Hello everyone

Yesterday I purchased some Mopani wood and put it in my aquarium. Today the water is somewhat tan/brown it seems. Is this a natural thing that happens or should I water change immediately? I have carbon in my tank but its still pretty brown...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Natural and harmless. It will continue to stain the water for quite some time though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:10 PM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How old is your carbon?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Carbon is about 2 days old. It is some that comes with the aqueon evolve series. I have some really crazy carbon I got from bulkreefsupply to use on a reef tank I used to have. Should I throw some of that in?

edit

Im a little worried that my camboda may not like this decreased light activity. Its probably my highest light plant and my light is just good enough for medium light plants Id imagine...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The brown stuff is called tannins. Sometimes boiling the wood several times will get rid of most of it before putting it into your tank. I've also seen some folks recommend Seachem Purigen to help reduce it in the tank.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDiscGolfer View Post
The brown stuff is called tannins. Sometimes boiling the wood several times will get rid of most of it before putting it into your tank. I've also seen some folks recommend Seachem Purigen to help reduce it in the tank.
Interesting...I also have a bag of purigen that didnt get used in my last reef set up. I dont think I have a small enough micron bag to take the recommended dose for a tank my size though and Id imagine putting a whole bag of purigen in there would probably strip all the nutrients and kill my plants.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

tannins wont cause any harm to the plants or the fish water changes will gradually remove it various wood releases varoius amounts of tannin

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the same. If you look back at the tag it tells you to soak for a number of days before using. Took me like 3-4 days
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have boiled both mopani and Malaysian driftwood many times, and soaked for weeks, and still have tannins being leached nearly a year later. It's just part of the territory. Water changes and/or purigen will fix it, but you just have to be patient and accept it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the replies! This forum has been really great for a newbie like me starting up.

Anyway, can I add a whole 100 mL bag or is that over kill? "The Bag" is expensive and I think I lost my old one . I think that my camboda is not going to like the loss of light this tannin is causing.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
Thanks for all the replies! This forum has been really great for a newbie like me starting up.

Anyway, can I add a whole 100 mL bag or is that over kill? "The Bag" is expensive and I think I lost my old one . I think that my camboda is not going to like the loss of light this tannin is causing.
There's a 100ml bag of purigen in my eheim 2213 that's filtering my 8 gallon, and for the past 2 months everything has been growing great.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the killer first hand knowledge. I think I am going to add the bag of purigen tonight. Will I need to dose now that I have purigen because when I used it in my reef it pretty much kept my nitrates 0 at all times.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
Thanks for the killer first hand knowledge. I think I am going to add the bag of purigen tonight. Will I need to dose now that I have purigen because when I used it in my reef it pretty much kept my nitrates 0 at all times.
Most likely, my ferts disapear in my tank pretty quick but I do have it pretty densely planted with lots of moss, ferns, and floaters. If you have nothing but simple plants like camboda then you might not need anything more than some root tabs and Flourish Comprehensive. Supposively purigen doesn't remove fertilizers though. I wouldn't add purigen to an uncycled tank either since it might starve the beneificial bacteria of ammonia and the like while they try to establish. As far as tannins, it sucked the stuff right out of my mopani, although I did boil them several times at first. Sadly the tannins seem to really choke the stuff up, and it doesn't last as long. Purigen is handy in that it can be recharged though, although I'd say it's only effective for 5-7 rechargings until I wouldn't use it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

Yup, tannins. Fish tea! Good thing if you have fish and plants that like it, and there's lots that do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode