Quarantine Tank: Will it cause stress? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quarantine Tank: Will it cause stress?

I have a bare bones tank with a large cave, air stone, fluval U1 sponge filter with the intake reduced/lowered, heater and low lights.

My fish seem pale and unhappy in it. Granted, I only got them this evening but I feel bad for the little guys. Will it stress them out to keep them in there for a couple of weeks?

I just feel so horrible because I know they like leafy, substratey happy places...

But it keeps them and my guys healthier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of fish is it?

It's probably stress to do with coming home, as most quarantine completely bare (I do).

Moving the fish to quarantine will stress it out but it's needed sometimes.

I imagine they'll straighten up soon but if they don't, do what you think will make them happier.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Celestial Pearl Danios and some C. habrosus. I just bought them from the pet store today. And all the guides said a cave, bare bottom and essentials were best. Made sense, since plants make it a pita to net the lil guys.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll go wait until
Tomorrow, or the next day. Unless you start seeing losses I'll assume the trip was too stressful and they're getting used to it. Try not to feed much until they "look" hungry, you'll ruin water quality if they don't eat.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I don't usually feed the first night they are home. It was a pretty long drive. Everyone seems pretty healthy so far!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 AM
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How long is pretty long? Ha. That could play a major factor. I don't think the lack of substrate is messing with them that much, just something they'll get used to
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Who says you can't have plants in there? I almost always throw in some floating plants like hornwort, myriophyllum, Java fern, java moss, etc. I feel the fish acclimate better and faster with plants. If I need to medicate or when I need to catch them, I just pull the plants out. Sounds like you are already doing everything else right.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I always put in both fake and real plants to help the fish feel more comfortable and secure, as well as a nice hunk of rock they can hide behind or swim thru. I use java fern and anubias on driftwood or rocks, duckweed, and then add one or two leafy fake plants. Once the fish go into the main tank the real plants go back in there too. My Q tank looks pretty nice to be honest. I have 9 dwarf rainbows in there right now and they seem pretty happy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed. While my QT is bare bottom, i have a few pieces of pvc pipe, elbows etc, and a handful of live plants. I simply swap the media out of an existing tank when I need to use it. I keep it bare bottom and not quite so nice looking for a reason- If I pretty it up, I know it's gonna find a place as a display tank.
edit: I should add that half the water is from the display tank. Makes the transition easier for them too.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
This may be a super dumb question but...

You cycled your quarantine tank right?

Also, I've found that with bare bottomed tanks fish tend to always look a little pale- it is a defense trait they use to try and blend in so that they can hide from predators. I know that my celestials always look pale and sort of odd when I have them in their bare bottom breeding tank. Once I take them back to their fully planted, dark substrate display tank they color up nicely.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Floating plants will help. They sense they have cover from above.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Use some plant trimmings from the main tank. That way, if they have to be thrown out (Fish died or had to be medicated and it killed the plants) it is not a waste like having to toss a contaminated Anubias growing on driftwood. No way to sterilize that and trust it in the future, if the fish died of something contagious.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another vote for throwing in some hornwort or java moss, or trimmings from another tank.

As far as cycling the q-tank, I always keep a sponge filter running on one of my tanks for this purpose. When I need it, I just move it over to the q-tank. Another option is to rob filter media from an established tank and put it in the q-tank's filter.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I may split the sponge up since I run an aquaclear. I love this aquaclear! The basket is so handy, I can choose the media I put in. Filter cartridges don't seem so shiny anymore.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have alot of anubias in my big tank so losing a bit of it is no big deal to me. I bleach or microwave my driftwood to sanitize it, and re-use it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode