Help finding short leafy plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help finding short leafy plants

Hi all,

I'm trying to find an easy-to-grow short leafy plant to cover all the remaining substrate in my tank.

It's heavily planted with taller stuff, but I want no exposed gravel. I could use dwarf hair grass, micro sword, etc. but I would rather have something leafy that only grows up to 1 to 3 inches.

Any suggestions?

--Chris in Pensacola, FL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval Edge 12 Gallon Planted
1 HM Betta, 9 Cardinal Tetras, 3 False Julii Corys, 1 Clown Pleco
3 Golden Apple Snails, 5 Tiger Nerite Snails, Cherry & Amano Shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well there's Cardamine lyrata, hydrocotyle species, Staurogyne repens, errrr...Hemianthus micranthemoides?

It mainly comes down to what kind of light and CO2 you have.

I moss be in love

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'll check those out.

I'm not using co2. Just Flourish Excell. And mu lights are the LEDs that came with mu Fluval 12 gallon. They're working fine for cabomba, orchid lily, aponogeton, and swords.

--Chris in Pensacola, FL

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
hm. Staurogyne repens sounds like it should fit the bill. Hydrocotyle... i've seen it do ok without co2, and it makes a mean addition to a wabikusa or paludarium... but I personally haven't much success with it if it's not in direct light. I do have a lot of h. sibthorpiodes, if you want to try some out anyway.

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
also hygrophila araguia. I hear people have sucess with that, but it's harder to find and a bit pricier.

RAOK club #37

|
|
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hydrocotyle tripartita (also known as Hydrocotyle Japan) does really well without co2 and in low light, so if you find you might be interested in a nice carpet, I would suggest that. I have no experience with H. sibthorpiodes so I cannot say how good or bad it is.

I just re-read your posts and you say you have gravel. I'm not sure how well Hydrocotyle would do in gravel, so you might want to look at the other things I suggested.

I moss be in love

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher View Post
Hydrocotyle tripartita (also known as Hydrocotyle Japan) does really well without co2 and in low light...
Hmm... My experience with Hydrocotyles is consistent with what is generally said on the Net: in low light they tend to shoot up instead of hugging the ground. As is typically the case with most small-leafed plants, if one wants them to form a carpet, one needs very good light.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I really love staurogyne repens. It takes a little bit of care but still is really nice. Hemianthus micranthemoides is really great too and grows fast and nice looking even with low light and no CO2. If you really want something nice and leafy look into staurogyne repens and staurogyne 'porto velho.'

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Hmm... My experience with Hydrocotyles is consistent with what is generally said on the Net: in low light they tend to shoot up instead of hugging the ground. As is typically the case with most small-leafed plants, if one wants them to form a carpet, one needs very good light.
That's true, though I've heard that among the Hydrocotyles, people say that the Japan species is the best for low light. The guy I bought H. tripartita from had a nice carpet in moderately low light.

I moss be in love

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

c. parva if your have the patience for it

/
/
/ 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I'll research all the plants listed and see what I think will work for me. This gives me a great head start, though, because I didn't know where to start.

Thanks so much!

--Chris in Pensacola, FL

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
S. Repens or HM would be my choices.

HM is faster and does better if you don't have co2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode