Got the 125! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Got the 125!

One of my friends in Connecticut asked "what are you going to put in that behemoth"? I liked that so much, I've decided to name the tank Behemoth! Heaven knows I never expected to be so lucky as to get a 125. So, Behold The Behemoth! (I say that in my deepest echo voice - lol)
First, ignore the mess in my living room. I'm in the process of redoing the floors and I've torn out the carpet & pad, and I'm now starting to lay 1/2" ply on top of the existing sub-floor. What you see is the original sub-floor. I have to put down the ply, Hardiebacker board, and tile before I place the tank in it's final spot - so for now it's in the middle of the the living room. I'm having the floor shored-up/supported from underneath too, before I fill it.
For a sense of scale, there is a 40g breeder about 15" behind the 125. I bought the 125 off a coworker who was tired of it - he's had it set up & running for a year without any fish in it (I think that's weird). It used to have discus. I scooped all the substrate out (Amazonia/gravel mix), but there is still an inch of brown water in the bottom - boy is it stinky. It came with a Magnum canister filter, a Magnum hob filter, heaters, digital thermometer, three versa tops, typical one bulb strip lights (I'll be giving to my friend) air pumps, and all kinds of misc stuff, like an undergravel plate - is that part of the canister set up? - much of which I don't think I'll be using. He's had it ten years, and he sold it to me for $75.00. One thing that worries me- one of the two plastic strips in the rim, that cross from front to back, has been cracked. For how long, I don't know. He did a repair job on it and used something to bond it back together. He said it was no big deal and the glass never bowed, but I worry! I was thinking about having two metal straps fabricated in the same size/shape as the plastic straps. Just simple [_______] shapes that would slip over the existing plastic bars for piece of mind against bowing. Does that sound reasonable? I'll add a pic of the repair in a minute...

Here's the tank!

The repair on the plastic band, right where it attaches to the rim...

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good! If he used some epoxy on the plastic frame chances are it's just as strong as the plastic. I'm glad to see you got it moved without breaking it...or anyone, I remember how nervous you were, lol.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Looks good! If he used some epoxy on the plastic frame chances are it's just as strong as the plastic. I'm glad to see you got it moved without breaking it...or anyone, I remember how nervous you were, lol.
That's good to know about epoxy - I don't know anything about that sorta stuff. He did say he was going to epoxy it when he first told me about the break...
I have been a huge cranky grump at work - due to stressing over picking up the tank on my day off. I'm surprised I didn't get coached for my (always vocal) temper last week! lol I feel SO much better now ; )
I can't stress how hard it was to move. Once we got to where the tank was, we had to call my friend's grandson - he was in the area as it turned out and he picked up one end like it was a toy. When we got to my house, we had to call my friend's granddaughter's boyfriend to help - they were about a half hour away but came right over - it was the first time I met him, and he is a mountain! I am so fortunate to have such helpful people around. My neighbors weren't home, so I'm even more appreciative of folks dropping what they are doing to help. To get it into my house it was me on one end, and the girl's boyfriend on the other. I feel like my insides are going to fall out now - LOL
Every time I walk past it, it stops me in my tracks. I have to seriously rethink how I'm going to stock it - so many possibilities! This is like ten Christmases rolled into one
I know a lot of people have 125s here, and even bigger tanks. I may sound silly going nuts over a ten year old tank, and I thank you all for bearing with me

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Haha, I barely slept the night I got my 90...I hear you!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have to say, that sludge in the bottom stinks to High Heaven. I set up my air purifier on max, right next to it. When I get home from work tomorrow I'm going to sponge it all out & clean the tank. Am I the only weirdo that sits and watches an empty tank? lol

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
I can't even sleep when I get a 10gallon lol can't wait to see it up and running. A good fish that you could get and possibly save the species of is the Xiphophorus couchainus, there easy to breed and are practically extinct in the wild, the 125 would be more than enough space to keep them too. Either way can't wait to see the progress!

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
That's good to know about epoxy - I don't know anything about that sorta stuff. He did say he was going to epoxy it when he first told me about the break.
Every time I walk past it, it stops me in my tracks. I have to seriously rethink how I'm going to stock it - so many possibilities! This is like ten Christmases rolled into one
I know a lot of people have 125s here, and even bigger tanks. I may sound silly going nuts over a ten year old tank, and I thank you all for bearing with me
How did he break it in the first place?
I remember when I inherited my first big tank, an 86g from my sister, I could not believe how frikkin HUGE that thing was! Funny thing, I called it 'The Behemoth" too You're gonna loooove all that space

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I tried to google that, but nothing came up. Any pics/info? I hate to be boring, but my original plan was to have a good sized school of Buenos Aires Tetras - I have ten in a 29g and I love them, and would love to see a big school. I haven't thought much past that point...lol I have ten Red and Blue (Columbian) Tetras in my QT tank - they've been there for months. The BATs don't touch my plants, I have to see about the Columbians though...maybe they end up in one of the 29s.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I didn't think to ask how it broke - frankly, I was afraid he would say it was due to the glass bowing, even though he told me the glass didn't bow at all.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I were to do my big tank again, I'd do without the boesmanis and congo tetras, and go with 2 huge schools of little fish.

180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I didn't think to ask how it broke - frankly, I was afraid he would say it was due to the glass bowing, even though he told me the glass didn't bow at all.
For peace of mind, it would be pretty easy to add a metal brace to that before you fill it up. You'll likely sleep better My 86 had no braces at all, and the bowing freaked me out.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The driftwood I have for the tank is large (it may not look so large now!) and has lots of small to medium holes, tunnels, and arches. I picked these driftwood pieces out with schools of smaller tetras etc. in mind. Bigger fish might not have enough room. I like the looks of big schools of little fish - at least in pics. I've never seen a large tank set up before. My friend is all into African cichlids, but that's not my thing.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
I tried to google that, but nothing came up. Any pics/info? I hate to be boring, but my original plan was to have a good sized school of Buenos Aires Tetras - I have ten in a 29g and I love them, and would love to see a big school. I haven't thought much past that point...lol I have ten Red and Blue (Columbian) Tetras in my QT tank - they've been there for months. The BATs don't touch my plants, I have to see about the Columbians though...maybe they end up in one of the 29s.
I have it on my Shrimp Bowl Omen thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...wl-omen-4.html

Care is easy all they need is a 20g tank for a group of them and the usual filtration and love and care

The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I want to add the metal brace for piece of mind, for sure. How would you go about it? Can I have a steel strap bent so it covers the original plastic part, and folds over the rim? Like an elongated, shallow "U". What kind of person does that work/fabrication - who would I look up in the yellow pages?

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

These guys http://www.shickel.com/Home.aspx
or these
http://www.allthevirginia.com/Local/...ation_15309794
Make sure they know you don't want anything fancy, I'm sure they can do something cheap out of a scrap of stainless steel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode