Questionable Advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Questionable Advice?

Hello I just returned from the LFS with some new stem plants. The guy who sold them to me told me that if I wanted to shorten them I can cut up the stem until they are the desired height...is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If they're wisteria, I suppose you could. (I do that with mine). Otherwise I'm not sure

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this is true for most stem plants. You can plant the new "top", as well as the shortened "bottom". Roots will grow from the bottom of both.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool thanks for the advice. I picked up some camboda and ratala. I also had some java fern that was really ugly when I bought it...probably sick with lots of thin looking leaves. I cut about 80 percent of them off...hope it survives.

edit

I was also wondering if it was better to seperate the stems? Both of the stem plants i purchased have some rubber loop around the bottom to keep them together.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
for java fern, only cut the rhyzome or prune individual leaves. stems you can cut where ever.
and yes, take the binding off. The bottom of the stems can rot if you keep them all bunched all together. It's best to plant them in little bunches of 1-3 stems in the substrate.

RAOK club #37

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm ok so I separated them out and trimmed the rotalas roots a little. Putting them back in separately was alot harder than when they were together...hope I didnt crush their roots...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
I was also wondering if it was better to seperate the stems? Both of the stem plants i purchased have some rubber loop around the bottom to keep them together.
In my limited experience, stem plants develop pretty extensive root systems, so planting them too closely together will stunt their growth as the different plants` root systems interfere with each other. Plus, I've heard some stem plants like tiger lotus (dwarf water lilies) secrete toxins from their roots to kill anything that gets too close to them.

Anybody ever heard of that?

10 gallon acrylic fw planted. 6 neon tetras, 1 GBR, 3 Amano shrimp, 2 nerites, 1 BNP, Eheim Classic 2211, Finnex Planted+ 17W LED, Hydor ETH 200W In-Line Heater, InkBird temp controller.

10 gallon aquaponic setup, hydroponic basil, 8 HET rasboras, RCS, red ramshorn snails.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode