What the!!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What the!!!!!!

OMG I just got my API testing kit and i tested my water. Hmm, well the Ammonia was 0 ppm the nitrite 0 ppm AND THE NITRATE 160 ppm . Ok start doing water changes right? Took my tap water de chlorinated it and had a worry. tested my tap water the nitrates hmm OF THE CHART i would guess 180 ppm . Got a 20 lt can from my groceries tested it 40 ppm . Ok 40 is better than 180 so i started water changes today. and will do till the nitrates fall to 40 ppm. And please recommend a method or a product to reduce the nitrates to 0 Im begging you.

110 gallon Planted
120 gallon Arowana
1500 gallon Pond
150 gallon reef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Algae Grower

Plants will use the nitrates. My tank started with around 80 ppm until I planted a bunch of plants. Now I they are less than 5 ppm.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not a gripe here, but that sure seems like a lot of tanks running in your signature to just now be discovering high nitrates. Anyhow. I agree those nitrates are incredibly high. There are some chemical filtration products that absorb nitrates I believe. At this point, I would add as many floating plants as you can (frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia, duckweed, ect). If your tap water is that high, I would honestly consider getting an alternative water source going. Your plant mass can help some, but not that much. Your best bet would be to get a RO/DI unit from bulk reef supply and a large container to store fresh water in. With the number of tanks you have you might want to get one if those really big plastic water drums. That would all be fairly pricey and space hogging though. That is a tough break about your tap water though. Have you contacted your city water company to find out why the high nitrates? That's all I've got. Someone else may chime in.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I wouldn't imagine bottled water to have such high nitrates! Are you sure you're doing the test correctly or the solution is not expired?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
I wouldn't imagine bottled water to have such high nitrates! Are you sure you're doing the test correctly or the solution is not expired?
+1

I would think that something is funny with the test kit. Where did you purchase it? If LFS, take a sample of your water to them and have them test it.

Rena Pimp # 171 2 Rena Filstar XP3s
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Not a gripe here, but that sure seems like a lot of tanks running in your signature to just now be discovering high nitrates. Anyhow. I agree those nitrates are incredibly high. There are some chemical filtration products that absorb nitrates I believe. At this point, I would add as many floating plants as you can (frogbit, water lettuce, salvinia, duckweed, ect). If your tap water is that high, I would honestly consider getting an alternative water source going. Your plant mass can help some, but not that much. Your best bet would be to get a RO/DI unit from bulk reef supply and a large container to store fresh water in. With the number of tanks you have you might want to get one if those really big plastic water drums. That would all be fairly pricey and space hogging though. That is a tough break about your tap water though. Have you contacted your city water company to find out why the high nitrates? That's all I've got. Someone else may chime in.
Arowanas and Oscars are very hardy and can tolerate high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And only now has my tap water been this high in nitrates

110 gallon Planted
120 gallon Arowana
1500 gallon Pond
150 gallon reef
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
My kit is very new and no i coudnt have tested wrong since i followed all the instructions

110 gallon Planted
120 gallon Arowana
1500 gallon Pond
150 gallon reef
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I googled my problem and found out that i literally had to smack that freaken bottle number 2 to get proper readings( API testing kit). I will try that and let you know.

110 gallon Planted
120 gallon Arowana
1500 gallon Pond
150 gallon reef
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM

No fish should be made to tolerate high ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. If you can't source water with lower nitrates then I recommend JBL bionitratex as is uses anaerobic bacteria to reduce nitrates and the pouches last at least 12 months. I've used it and found it to be very effective.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Nitrate bottle #2 definitely needs a full 30 seconds of very vigorous shaking , and then shake the test tube with both solutions for a full minute for an accurate reading. What were the new readings with the test re-done? I know oscars are very tough fish. My adult Oscar lived fortwo months in a filterless tank with no ill effects that I noticed. My filter had a broken pipe inside and was running on 99% media bypass before I found out when taking it apart.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTici View Post
No fish should be made to tolerate high ammonia, nitrite or nitrate. If you can't source water with lower nitrates then I recommend JBL bionitratex as is uses anaerobic bacteria to reduce nitrates and the pouches last at least 12 months. I've used it and found it to be very effective.
I have no ammonia and nitrites. And it happens to bet that the nitrate liquid test fom API's nitrate kit's 2nd bottle has to banged on a hard surface and shook like crazy for a long time to get accurate readings. I tried that and got proper readings . The instructions said shake for 30 seconds but that's wrong and that was the problem.

110 gallon Planted
120 gallon Arowana
1500 gallon Pond
150 gallon reef
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hmmm I've never had to smack my bottle #2, lol.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
What are your readings now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's possible your water is that high. Try testing phosphate too. It sounds like agriculture run-off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarshrey View Post
I have no ammonia and nitrites. And it happens to bet that the nitrate liquid test fom API's nitrate kit's 2nd bottle has to banged on a hard surface and shook like crazy for a long time to get accurate readings. I tried that and got proper readings . The instructions said shake for 30 seconds but that's wrong and that was the problem.
I don't think its wrong.

Its not difficult to shake the bottle. Why would smacking the bottle change anything to do with the liquid inside?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode