Hydroponic questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to allegoriest
Hydroponic questions

I have no idea where this would go, but you are the best group of people I can think of to ask this.

My mother and I were thinking of having a hydroponic garden of the DIY type. Before I was into it until I was like, wait, fertilizer. (I don't know what my problem with fertilizer is. I think I'm cheap.) She wants to have it with fish instead. I had a basic idea down for it, but it wouldn't have enough room for fish. It had maybe two gallons of water in use.

So does anyone have any ideas for this? We don't want a HUGE setup. My idea had maybe 3-5 plants for it but more is okay. I have eh-level of experience doing plumbing type things, but I have a plumber and electrician held hostage. The setup I was looking for used an air pump like for an aquarium, which I already have, but really isn't necessary if there's something better.

Is there also anything we'd need to know for health related things? I mean, poo-fueled fertilizer always has the opportunity for disease and all. Chances are though, I might not actually eat anything from it, and might have flowers or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've looked into this for myself. You can spend days on YouTube getting ideas.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
More effective, for what you're talking about (or, more specifically, what I *think* you're talking about), is to use all the removed stuff from the tank (trapped material in the filter, as well as anything vacuumed out from the bottom) as ferts for the garden.

I'm just having a lot of trouble envisioning what I *worry* that you're talking about - that is, a terrestrial garden with an automatic aquatic fert source.

Whenever I cleaned out my canister, I used to dump all the water into a large bowl, wait a day for sediment to settle, drain most water, and then dump the sediment and remaining water onto potted plants. It never seemed to hurt.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to allegoriest
Honestly, I'm really not sure what I'm talking about. But I think I'm going to mix the drained water idea with a smaller setup of flowers, and see if it works. I'm trying to build a pump to take the water to circulate up and drip back down. As soon as it starts though, my ill fitted fittings go, okay, done, and wiggle off. *frustrated face*
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Here is an article I wrote for a local newspaper about hydroponics

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

do a search for window garden
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Planted Member

HAHAHA,Your fish fueled hydro setup CRACKS ME UP!!!I think you need a 5 gal bucket,your bubbler and the right ferts.A vanilla scented candle wouldn't hurt either

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode