planting wet or dry? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
planting wet or dry?

Do you guys prefer to plant dry or wet? My substrate is Miracle grow organic choice capped with playsand (1"cap)

part 2.
If you do prefer to plant dry. A month down the road if I plan on adding more plants will I end up with a dirt storm trying to stick the plants in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
A lot of people plant dry or with a little water. I always did mine with water, due to having fish in the tank before hand.

More of a personal preference I think, as to stirring up a bunch of dirt, have not seen anyone really complain about that so should be just fine

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wet, because it gives me a better sense of how the plants'll look when they're not all flopped over in heaps because there's no water to hold them up. Every time I've done it dry I've had to replant anyway because the plants are facing the wrong direction or something.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like NWA said...personal preference. I filled my tank about half way when I planted. As for adding plants down the road it shouldn't be an issue. Just remember what you are dealing with...dirt covered by a cap of sand. So scooping a big pile aside to plant something isn't going to work well. My preference is to stick my index finger into the substrate making a little hole, then I slide the plant (with the same hand) into said hole. I get a little puff of dirt once in a while, but really it's nothing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Im doing a dry start now because I feel like plants take root faster and its easier to keep tiny weakly rooted plants in the substrate and not floating about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow great responses guys. Sounds like the dirt part will not be an issue if I use Daximus's technique. I think maybe planting my glosso dry and doing a 1/2 fill is the option im going.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode