Python or Aqueon water changer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Python or Aqueon water changer?

Hi

Looking to finally move from hauling buckets...anyone have experience with these two brands and care to make a recommendation?

Thanks!

Current Tanks
FW: 65g w/Eheim 2026
Sundial T5HO 2 x 39w Geisemann Midday 6600k
SW: 180g w/150g sump
3 x 250w MH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Never used the Aqueon but if it works the same as the Python I would not recomend it.

They work well but I can't stand the fact that you waste good water in order to remove the bad. The suction is created by running the tap water, and the tap water just goes down the drain. You then run tap water back through to fill it up so you basically need to use double the amount of water you removed for every water change. I find this incredibly wasteful.

Edit - You can hook the python up to a pump in order to syphon water, but then you would also need to spend money on a pump. My recommendation if you went this route would be to purchase normal hosing (as long as required), a pump and your regular gravel vac attachment and run it to your garden or a drain.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I understand not wanting to waste water, I really do. I have a RODI for the reef tank, and talk about waste. We've lookied in to investing in to another kind of system for replacing that. We have really good water and typically use that.

My problem in bad elbows & shoulders (multiple surguries with more on the horizon) and realizing that it's the water changes that have been the killer for me. I really need to find a better way to keep me in the game.

For a 65g, hauling multiple 5g buckets each week is doing me in.

For the 180g reef tank it's hook up to a 150g sump in the basement and a there's a food grade barrel used for water changes, plumbed, pump, etc. So no heavy lifting. Sadly, not an option for the 65g in the living room.

Current Tanks
3 x 250w MH

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Just buy a cheap water pump and a garden hose adapter. You won't waste any water, and won't have to carry any buckets. I gravity drain mine, but I have a garden hose that has never been used outside so that I don't have to worry about getting my carpet dirty.

Always curious.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
Just buy a cheap water pump and a garden hose adapter. You won't waste any water, and won't have to carry any buckets. I gravity drain mine, but I have a garden hose that has never been used outside so that I don't have to worry about getting my carpet dirty.
This works! I actually wanted to suggest in my post above.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually, the tank is in a corner very near a window. I lift the screen up and siphon out the window. It's getting the water back IN to the tank that's the hard part for me... The only time this can be an issue is in the winter...last year we had 8' of snow in fron of the house.

Funny, I always thought you had to treat (remove chlorimine) from the water before adding. I didn't know until recently that you could add your conditioner to the tank and top off. I mean, I've had a FW tank since I was like 12. OMG

So maybe my answer is finding a cheaper way to run a (safe) hose from a faucet to the fish tank? Waterbed type adapter?

Current Tanks
3 x 250w MH
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)
They are pretty much the same. I have python. This is what I do without wasting water. Once you've created a syphon, you can turn off the water. The flow might not be as fast but you're still removing water. If you want to gravel vac, you'll need to leave the water on until you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

The Python/Aqeon have long hoses, which I like. Just stuff it out the front door or out the window. This gravity is generally enough to suction gravel. Use the the faucet to refill. No water waste and no buckets.

Adam
SAPS member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I found a hose barb that fit onto the shower in the basement and made myself a U out of PVC with a ball valve and put a T at the end of the U. I bought 20 feet of clear hose from Foster and Smith. I run water in the shower until the approx temperature is reached, drop the U over the tank edge, have a capful of Prime ready. Open the ball valve and drop Prime in the tank. I still initially drain the water in buckets because I use a gravel vac and just in case I suck up a critter, I don't want to look for it in the yard or toilet. :-)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
My husband got me an Aqueon changer for Christmas, I love it! Saved my back and knees.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I only run the water to get the siphon started then I shut it off and it continues draining. Shouldnt need to run the water the whole time unless your draining higher than your tank...
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
They are pretty much the same. I have python. This is what I do without wasting water. Once you've created a syphon, you can turn off the water. The flow might not be as fast but you're still removing water. If you want to gravel vac, you'll need to leave the water on until you're done.
yea... not sure why people would think you need to leave the water on. running the water is solely to create the siphon--nothing more.

for me, i run the water for a few seconds to create the siphon then turn off the faucet, turn off the flow, unhook and drop the hose out the window then turn the flow back on. 75g is drained more than half way in 15 minutes.

75g / finnex ray 2 dual 7k 7.5 hrs per day / pressurized co2 + standard ei routine / fx5 + nano

(android app covering public transit systems all across the US and Canada)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My wife had bought me a Python system, used it once, slow as heck, and returned it. The hose diameter is too small and eductor is really inefficient and it made from real cheap plastic. I do the siphon out the window deal to get the water out on all my tanks and fill with a hose attached to the kitchen sink. The faucet adaptor, garden hose and fittings are all available at Home Depot along with most any home improvement or hardware store and for less money you can build a better system. On the siphon end, I made a U to go over the edge and adjusted its length to my desired ending water level, just start it and it only drains as much as i want even if I get distracted, with young kids this isn't uncommon, lol. To fill it I just added a float valve and added a line vent to aerate and a hose bib to feed declorinater in and it fills on its own too. The only thing I should have done and will is add quick a tee and another fill set-up. As it is I have to wait and fill each tank one at a time, but not too awful. I only do the hand fill on my shrimp tanks, don't use water straight from the tap on them. The only thing I would recommend is using potable water safe hose, I bought 100' x 3/4" potable water hose for a boat and cut it up to the lengths I needed. Good luck.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hey, thanks for all of the input folks. Definitely lots to think about! Clever people here

Current Tanks
3 x 250w MH
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Algae Grower

I also have a python and hate the waste of good fertilized water down the drain. So I drain the tank using buckets and strictly use the python for refilling the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode