Experiences with Zoomed "mopani" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Experiences with Zoomed "mopani"

I know there've been a gazillion threads regarding what it takes to get driftwood to leach a manageable amount of tannins. I went the Purigen route, and I have to say the stuff worked as advertised and recommended.

So after soaking, boiling, etc, etc. The piece of mopani I placed in my new planted tank was still just leaching to the point you could barely see the wood in the tank. So the Purigen did the trick and I can now at least see the wood.

This morning was the first time I could actually see it, and there appears to be a white, cloudy fungal/bacterial growth in a couple of pockets in the pieces. I didn't have any time to mess with it before leaving for work, so I can't attest to it's consistancy, just its' appearance. Just four or five "puffs" that I could see. When I get home, I'll pull it out and scrub and re-soak it before putting it back in the tank.

So I'm just wondering what other folks' experience has been with this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
That's normal. Mopani will leach for a while the white stuff is just a fungus. Will go away too.

Sunsun Pimp Club Member #068
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Mopani is one of the most dense woods on the planet it just takes more time to leach out. i have a stumpy looking pc that's 5' wide. I soaked it for two weeks prior to use, been in the tank 2 months. Just now settling down. I added some Zebra Nerite snails as they ate off the spot algae I saw an increase in tannins again.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Driftwood Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
I know there've been a gazillion threads regarding what it takes to get driftwood to leach a manageable amount of tannins. I went the Purigen route, and I have to say the stuff worked as advertised and recommended.

So after soaking, boiling, etc, etc. The piece of mopani I placed in my new planted tank was still just leaching to the point you could barely see the wood in the tank. So the Purigen did the trick and I can now at least see the wood.

This morning was the first time I could actually see it, and there appears to be a white, cloudy fungal/bacterial growth in a couple of pockets in the pieces. I didn't have any time to mess with it before leaving for work, so I can't attest to it's consistancy, just its' appearance. Just four or five "puffs" that I could see. When I get home, I'll pull it out and scrub and re-soak it before putting it back in the tank.

So I'm just wondering what other folks' experience has been with this stuff?
Hello Bush...

Not sure what type of driftwood you bought, but I've purchased "Mopani", tan colored, driftwood for some time. I buy it specifically because it doesn't leach tannins into the tank water. Your source may be using something else and calling it "Mopani". There are others, like malaysian, that leach very dark tannins, so that may be what you have.

The white fungus is normal and "Ramshorn" snails will remove it. Unless you keep high end, light sensative plants you don't really need to worry about tannins. Several large, weekly water changes will remove them.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the replies folks.

BBradbury, Dense is certainly one way to describe it! Since I bought a piece distributed and marketed by Zoomed, I can't verify its' source. But the result would lead me to believe Zoomed imports it from Malaysia. May I ask where you got the variety that doesn't leach tannins in such copious quantities?

I fully expected and wanted some tannins to leach out. But as I described, after multiple soaking and boiling sessions, I added it to a cycled planted tank I'm starting and overnight the tank went "lights out". I built the tank myself, so it's 16" front to back and you couldn't see the complete outline of the mopani. Water changes seemed to make it darker, but that's probably just my tainted perception. Now, after a couple of days running Purigen, it's much clearer in there and now it's a matter of dialing in the purigen and leaching to keep it reasonable. Trust me, it wasn't reasonable. The tank resembled a chocolate bar, lol!

I just started converting my SW 125G to FW last night, and I think this piece will just be moved there once that tank cycles. In my 45 or so years in the hobby, I never dealt with driftwood much at all, so I think one issue is that this piece was just too big for this tank, so I'll just move it along at some point to bigger quarters while I soak and boil a smaller piece for this tank. I think that may solve the problem on its' own.

Thanks for the snail suggestions as well. The fungus was a bit of a concern since I was only able to see it for the first time this morning after about 3 weeks in the tank.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Mopani wood comes from Africa. Some times it leeches tannin, sometimes it doesn't. I always boiled mine, a slow boil for three or four hours. That always did the trick for me, but it does not emit tannin forever, usually just a few days.

It is a heavy, dense wood, but sometimes small pieces will float.

Quote:
The mopane or mopani (Colophospermum mopane) tree grows in hot, dry, low-lying areas, 200 to 1,150 metres (660 to 3,770 ft) in elevation, in the far northern parts of southern Africa, into South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia, Namibia, Angola and Malawi. The tree only occurs in Africa and is the only species in genus Colophospermum. The species name mopane is taken from the local name for the tree. The mopane is in the legume family (Fabaceae).

Distribution of Mopane
It is found growing in alkaline (high lime content) soils which are shallow and not well drained. It also grows in alluvial soils (soil deposited by rivers). In South Africa and adjacent areas of Botswana and Zimbabwe, the trees tend to vary between 4 and 18 m (13 and 59 ft), often called mopane scrub but also sometimes taller and forming woodland, where further north the trees are taller and form tall woodlands referred to as cathedral mopane. This tree does not grow well outside hot, frost-free areas with summer rainfall.
Its distinctive butterfly-shaped leaf and thin, flimsy seed pod make it easy to identify. For human use it is, together with camel thorn and leadwood, one of the triad of definitive firewood trees. The name Colophospermum is Greek for "oily seed", in reference to the resinous seeds. The part of the name, colophos, apparently refers to the strong turpentine smell of the resin. Colophony is another name for rosin, a substance obtained from turpentine.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have several pieces of ZooMed Mopani driftwood, the white cloudy mold eventually does go away. I got impatient and just brushed it off with my fingers and never saw it again. Good luck.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks guys> The tank's finally at an acceptable tint, and down to just one white cloudy patch on the Mopani. New adventures!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode