Co2 in Filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Co2 in Filter?

Im wondering if I put my diffuser in by the intake of my filter and run it through does it stay in the water column or am I just wasting Co2? Does it have any other negative or positive effects?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think if anything it helps the co2 diffuser even better. I read somewhere that if you dont have a diffuser you can have the co2 pump directly into the intake and it will duffuser thru there. In fact im doing this process right now because my diffuser broke. Lets just say there was enough co2 to make my fish loopy. Every couple of minutes I hear the bubbles squeeze out of my spray bar with small bubbles.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Escaping View Post
I think if anything it helps the co2 diffuser even better. I read somewhere that if you dont have a diffuser you can have the co2 pump directly into the intake and it will duffuser thru there. In fact im doing this process right now because my diffuser broke. Lets just say there was enough co2 to make my fish loopy. Every couple of minutes I hear the bubbles squeeze out of my spray bar with small bubbles.
Sounds good. Anyone else want to chime in to before I commit?

+
+
+

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would think it would hurt the bacteria inside the filter

140g Planted Algae Machine..
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Maybe get an inline CO2 atomizer? You can find them on evilbay.

I moss be in love

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It is an effective method, there is all kinds of things about harming bacteria to degrading impeller quicker. have yet to see any data to support that so keep doing it lol.

Are you using a canister or HOB?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I dont own a diffuser. I run ALL of my tanks with the line plugged right into the canister intake. Works great without any complaints.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just bubble my CO2 into the intake of my canister filter (Rena Filstar XP2). I just drilled a small hole in the intake inside the tank and stuck the end of the CO2 tubing into it.

It works just fine. I don't get any micro bubbles coming out the outlet of the filter, so I'm assume that means 100% dissolution.

I'm running at a low bubble count (0.3 bps for a 40 gallon). I much higher bubble count might cause my canister to lock up. An inline diffuser on the intake hose would probably be even better as the CO2 bubbles might more easily dissolve. However, like I said, it works for me with just open tubing stuck into a hole in the intake pipe.

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

That's what I do. Heard things both ways and had people tell me it was the wrong thing to do...oh well, it works.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm I have 10 HOBs and 1 Canister. Canister I can see working better since it is sealed but the HOBs have a open top, exposed to the air. Im trying to be as efficient as possible since I have so many tanks with pressurized co2 without having to buy a ton of reactors. Currently Im using diffusers and have been putting them right by the intake.

+
+
+

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Algae Grower

This might be a bit of a stupid question, but why would such a small amount of CO2 cause a cannister to lock up? I too will be using this method and would like to know. I have already paid alot for my 406 so I'd hate to compromise it in any way...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you add more CO2 to the input of tje canister than can be reasonably dissolved, I'm guessing that the impeller will be in gas rather than water.

However, that is just a hunch on my part. You'd have to try it to see what happens. :-)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by galabar View Post
If you add more CO2 to the input of tje canister than can be reasonably dissolved, I'm guessing that the impeller will be in gas rather than water.

However, that is just a hunch on my part. You'd have to try it to see what happens. :-)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
Makes sense

+
+
+

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Seems worth the effort, use a drop checker on a region furthest away from outflow to evaluate its efficacy.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have done this and it is a good method. I too have heard of the co2 breaking down gaskets or something in the filter but have never experienced it myself.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode