Water quality help!!!!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Water quality help!!!!!!!

I recently checked for the first time in years the water in my tank a comunity ive had for six years and it terns out its not super healthy despite not loosing fish in ages and it terns out the problem could be because ive never vacumed the gravel so recently i tried and.....its rather bad but cant really get it all out still could this be the reason for the high nitrite and amonia as im going to go to the effort of getting my fish plants and decor out and replace the gravel with sand which is easier to clean as it doesnt get poo down the gaps what i thought id do is

1.get fish and stuff out
2. lower water a bit
3. get out gravel
4. leave poo etc... to sink down
5. vacume it up
6. replace with sand and do a large water change

im only doing this as i want a change and if im going to keep more sensitive species like clown loach and rams they need good water

is the abouve cooreect and ideas and advice wanted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well if you really want to switch for sand then your on the right track. It seems that your tank doesnt have enough space for beneficial bacteria to grow. Maybe it would benefit from a few large gravel vacuums and a larger filter.

What is your tank size and current filter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd vacuum the hell out of it, stir it up as much as possible, and then do a 50% water change. I would do this operation 3 days in a row, then test.

Chances are it took years to get this bad.

As Al Slick said...what tank...what filter?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i hate sand... just personal experience

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my tank is bout 2ft long and has a medium sized internal elite filter that came with it

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower

Water Changes

If you have high nitites and ammonia, don't do a large water change all at once - you may damage or kill your fish. I recommend doing only 20%, or less, daily changes for at least 10 days, or even more, so the fish can acclimate to the new water without too much stress. Some fish can adapt to bad water and putting them in new, clean, water can kill them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you're not losing fish, and it's a 6-year established tank, I'd be suspicious of your test kit results. What do you mean "high" nitrite and ammonia? Before any big changes I'd get that confirmed at your LFS (or Pet-whatever) with their test kits (free or cheap water testing).

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
unless you're losing fish, don't make drastic, sudden changes.

First, take the advice above and get a reliable reading at where you are, so you can measure your results going forward.

I'd only suggest huge water changes if your fish were in distress and dying.

Current Tanks
FW: 65g w/Eheim 2026
Sundial T5HO 2 x 39w Geisemann Midday 6600k
SW: 180g w/150g sump
3 x 250w MH
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would suggest one more thing. Don't vaccuum the entire substrate in one cleaning. Maybe, do one third this week, a second third the following etc. I've made the mistake of cleaning the entire bottom twice and had green water to show for it. You might disturb too much bacteria and get ammonia spikes from it. I also would be suspicious of your test readings on an old established tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode